I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TFO BVK 9' 7wt Blank using SF guides?
Posted by: Ron Ragno (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 01:19PM

Hi,
Has anyone built a TFO BVK 9' 7wt fly rod using SF guides and how do you like the results?
Thinking about using a Struble U-15HF reel seat, full wells Grip, PacBay N 16-12 strippers, Minima 4 size 6 guides.
What did you use?

Reel seat:

Strippers size and brand:

Guides size and brand (ceramic or not):

Did you taper or go with one size:

Thank you for your replies,
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TFO BVK 9' 7wt Blank using SF guides?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2012 05:45PM

depending on your knot/leader connections you should be able to go a size or 2 smaller in the minimas for your running guides and get rid of the 16 stripper. you may need one more than 6 runners depending on that rod. you can figure that out when you test it. the minima opening is slightly bigger than a normal ceramic

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: April 09, 2012 09:20PM

would a BVK 5wt 8'6 help?

I recently built the BVK as my 2nd fly rod.. haven't casted it yet as i am waiting for 72-120 hr curing period for the finish..

I built it up with REC RSFX1 x 5, RSFX2 x 3, RSNX4 x 1 & RSG12 x 1 as stripper. Tip was a REC RTTUL-S 4.5 (though recommended size was 4, it was a tight fit and light sanding of the paint on the tip did nothing). Total of 11 guides including tip.

Reel seat was a PacBay Channel CL7RC-T (I might be using this mainly in saltwater, so I didn't want to use any wood inserts, like I did with my TFO Finesse 2 wt)

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 10:08PM by Christopher Tan.

Posted by: Chris Gappmayer (---.webb-static.awinetworks.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 05:38PM

I'm going to give you another non-response to your actual question because the BVK I just finished was an 8 wt and I used REC snakes instead of single-foots. I can comment on the Struble U15-HF. It is super nice and the green one looks sharp with a carbon fiber grip (Thanks to Dick Ross) and metalic green trim on black wraps. It is very slim. Slimmer even than the seats on most of my trout rods. The reel foot on my 8 wt reel wouldn't fit in the hoods but the company sent me a new foot with a tighter radius on the bottom of the foot and it solved the problem. My other higher-end reels fit no problem. I haven't even cast the rod yet but will this week before I head to the Bahamas next week to give it a real workout.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 11:31AM

If you aren't worried about getting into your backing then the smallest guides and tip-tops are practical, except if you use 12' or longer leaders where a nail knot could get pivoted sideways in the guide train and pop a tippet. The connection between fly line / shooting head and backing / running line would be a concern for me. Some hefty, long-running fish have been landed on 7 wt. rods and there is the possibility of a broken leader caused by a line twist or a nail knot or even a spliced loop jamming up even for a moment in a too-small guide train. Snake guides will allow larger obstructions to pass through them than ring guides of equal diameter, and I believe Recoil snake guides are lighter than minima guides with an equal opening. Single-foot Recoil ring guides weigh less than minima guides of substantially smaller diameter, and Recoil guides will NOT corrode, nor do they have inserts that pop out or crack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster