I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finesse blank replacement
Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: April 09, 2012 10:24AM

I need to build a new rod to replace a rod built on a 2008 Kistler blank. This was roughly a 6'10" finesse rod with plenty of backbone but yet pretty darn light. Since the rod is broken I can't really compare a new blanks action to it, but was really hoping folks on here were familiar with those blanks and might be able to point me at a close replacement. I hate to say it but I can't afford to just build on a high end North Fork blank so I need to find somethng close in blank weight and action.

Wanted to add that the Batson RX8 822.5 is a touch to light so if possible it needs to be just a little bit heavier than that action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 10:36AM by Charles Lechner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finesse blank replacement
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 10:35AM

Batson 822.5 would be a good choice. MhX has a DS blank. St Croix has blanks to fit that bill also. You have many options. I have built on all three of these and the 822.5 is my favorite. I have also built on the Northfork Composites DS blank and it is a nice blank as well.

Date: April 09, 2012 10:42AM

I saw the MHX DS blank and was wondering if it is just a bit heavier action than the Batson version. I have several of the Batson RX8 822.5 and I am looking for a blank just a little bit stiffer overall but about the same action. I just don't want the tip to be too fast. Flukes were one of the top baits thrown on the rod that broke along with 1/4oz and less shaky head.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: April 09, 2012 11:05AM

If you want a little more power and not as fast of a tip use a HM SJ 842 or 843 and cut it down.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 11:08AM

I'm fishing 2 of the MHX DS8515 blanks and have liked them those far.
It loads very well, especially with light weights, but doesn't sacrifice any power in the butt. I haven't built or fished the RX8 so I can't really compare the 2.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 11:30AM

I build MHX DS (not the DS822 too much power for me).
DS820 is very good up to 3/16oz, not too fast (upper is moderate fast), very light rod (under 3oz).
DS821 more fast and more power , very light too (under 3oz too) and more versatile.
DS8515 ve y similar to DS821 but more length and power.

All three very sensitive, it depend of the weight you use.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 09, 2012 11:54AM

I have built a few MHX DS822, subjectively a bit more power than the batson 822.5. I have even stretched them by 10 to 12 inches to get rods that will cast farther in some saltwater applications, i like their tip action and powerful backbone so much. Of course CCS etc on both blanks would help you take it from the subjective to the objective......

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 01:21PM

Cheaper: Batson RX7 802.75 = the 822.5 with more butt power and faster lockup.

Better: FANTASTIC choice and one I prefer is Batson XSB843-TC

DR

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2012 10:37PM

Take a look at the RX8+S823. It's the 822.5 with a little more power from tip to butt.

Joe

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 08:54AM

Joe a "zinger" from de Bayou!

"Take a look at the RX8+S823"

Taking a "look" may serve the purpose of many -

One with your scientific credentials should consider another form of quantification -

Class room is normally followed by experiments in the laboratory -

Some say that hourly credits in the lab toward the final degree should exceed those earned in the lecture classroom.

Seeing is believing -

How about putting them on the Swampland Duplicator Test Board to evaluate action and power under identical conditions.

This works quite well until your quantum mechanics is furthur defined.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 10, 2012 11:35AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> How about putting them on the Swampland Duplicator
> Test Board to evaluate action and power under
> identical conditions.

I can't find this on the Swampland website. Are you selling it?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 10, 2012 11:35AM

Duane Richards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheaper: Batson RX7 802.75 = the 822.5 with more
> butt power and faster lockup.
>
> Better: FANTASTIC choice and one I prefer is
> Batson XSB843-TC
>
> DR

Shhhhh!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2012 12:05PM

Bill,

I know I need a duplicator for my shop. It has been on the list of tools I need for far too long. The duplicator will be useful for a host of tasks in the shop that will make building and blank analysis more efficient. You'll have some email coming your way shortly.

I finally made it out an had a chance to apply some of that angling theory you shared with me a while back ;). Needless to say progress was made, and some positive results were obtained.

Much can be done in the classical realm before we have to check on Schroedinger's feline pal ;).

Joe

Date: April 11, 2012 10:05AM

I think this thread was hijacked to an extent.

The original rod is broken so it can't be checked. I was really hoping someone was familiar with the original 2008 Kistler finesse blanks and would know an acurate replacement based on their knowledge of the original blank.

However, thanks for the suggestions so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster