I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming grips
Posted by: david jones (---.sub-174-254-155.myvzw.com)
Date: April 07, 2012 10:55PM

I have a hard time keeping my grips centered while reaming them. I have a set of hand reamers tried it that way then used the reamer on a power drill was faster but couldn't keep it centered . How does everybody else do it right what is the secret

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming grips
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 07, 2012 11:20PM

I am a NEWBE but don't have a problem I use the set of fiberglass rodes with the corksreeew grit paper on them start with the small one an work up to the size I need [use a varriable speed drill going CW] when I get close to the size I change to the fiber glass hollow rodes that has grit an glue on it an finish it by hand, not perfect but will do the job , that is for cork grips never worked on the EVA type
Bill

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 11:22PM by william sidney.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 07, 2012 11:30PM

i ream first, then turn down my grips. they are always true to center that way. if you are using pre-fab grips, just go slow.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: April 08, 2012 02:38AM

Are you trying to ream them holding the reamer on the drill horizontal? I had a a problem with it once and put the drill on a table with the reamer sticking up. I did a few times when I was hand reaming them until I started turning the grip with the reamer. I was just turning the reamer by hand and applying force and causing it to dig to one side. And like Justin said, go slow and take your time, don't force it.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2012 05:48PM

A I use both the dream reamer and home made reamers made from blank pieces covered with grit. I found the taper of the dream reamers too steep for cork grips. As I ream the grip, I turn the grip in my hand so that I am not holding it one way during the reaming. Ream ream, turn. Ream ream, turn. Ream ream, turn. It works for me.

Greg

Posted by: Jay Cook (---.scansafe.net)
Date: April 08, 2012 08:34PM

justin keithley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i ream first, then turn down my grips. they are
> always true to center that way. if you are using
> pre-fab grips, just go slow.

X2, I'm glad someone else does the same as I do. Pretty much foolproof., I hate ruining good cork.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: April 09, 2012 03:07AM

I had that problem, and found I was pushing too hard to get the reamer in. Go slow and let the rotation of the reamer remove material and work its way in. Even under power it is important to go slowly, rotate the grip and not push it too hard. That way you can check your fit before you go too far. I check quite often, cleaning the grip out with a bottle brush every time i stop.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 09:57AM

David,
Another hint that I learned a long time ago.
I only power ream with circular metal files chucked into a variable speed drill running back wards.
I always wear a cloth glove on the hand that is holding the grip. As I ream, I let the grip slip in my hand a bit from time to time as I ream. I keep the glove on my hand to keep the friction from the turning grip burn my hand.

By letting the grip rotate a bit as I ream, any out of round reaming can easily be felt in the hand, and stopped right away before it becomes a problem. If you let the grip spin for a second on the rotating file, it is instantly apparent if there is any off center reaming going on that needs correcting.

I do the same thing when reaming cork rings. i.e. holding the ring in my gloved hand and reaming with the file. Then, letting the ring slip if necessary to correct any out of center condition.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: April 09, 2012 10:39PM

i tried the rat tail file method by hand and by drill, but never had much luck .. short of reaming individual rings to fit on the blank and shaping it on the blank, i now use a round rasp to 'ream' the bore of the cork grip (if i built it on a mandrel). the diameter of the rasp is slightly larger than 0.25in and it will remove cork quite fast, so I normally use it if I have to remove a fair bit of cork to fit the blank. since it has teeth, you don't need to use too much effort when reaming.

takes me less than 5 mins to ream from 0.25in to 0.3+in, and that includes dry fitting a few times, and blowing out the dust from the bore...

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 03:22PM

Christopher,
Another way to quickly size a handle to a blank is as follows. Use the reamer of your choice to ream the butt of the handle for a perfect fit on the blank, and use a reamer on the tip of the handle for a perfect fit on the blank at its location.

Then, take a long drill bit this is about the size of the nice fitting hole in the butt of the handle and drill the handle 1/2 way through.
Then, take a long drill bit that is about the size of the nice fitting hole in the tip of the handle and drill the hanadle 1/2 way through.

With most blank tapers, this technique will give you a nice fitting handle in just a couple of minutes.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster