I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Naked Graphite Blanks
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2012 06:09PM

I have a novice question. I recently did a repair on a G Loomis. I really like the flat graphite look. I stripped a painted blank i had and plan on keeping it naked. is it ok to leave a blank with no finish whatsoever.or Do they need some sort of finish to protect from sun.

Thank you to all who respond for the advise.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Naked Graphite Blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2012 06:18PM

No.

Date: April 07, 2012 06:21PM

Tom, No you don't need finish or No it is not ok to leave unfinished

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2012 06:24PM

You do not need anything over the bare graphite. Wax it if you like, or apply a coat of "Old Gold" furniture polish to facilitate cleaning it. Don't get either on the male ferrule, however.

Date: April 07, 2012 06:28PM

Thank you for the quick answer. You are the man.
I love how the experts are willing to help the noobs.
Now off to the garage to start stripping......don't sound right but you know what i mean.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2012 02:58PM

I use a mixture of Polyeuthane satin clear finish cut with paint thinner

Before

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Stripped w/tool used to strib

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Re-Finished

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2012 03:10PM

Happy Easter Jim, I hope the Easter Bunny brought you a tweezer and a magnifier in your basket, you may need them while removing that finish. You can get that same flat finish with P G if after it cures, all you gotta do is scuff it up with a fine Scotch Brite pad. You can make it as dull as you want, from a semi gloss to complete flat by how much you buff it.
A chemical peel will not remove all the factory finish without some sort of scraping. Even if you use Scotch Brite to remove the finish down to the bare blank your going to end up with blotches where the finish took a good hold. Your gonna have to get those blotches out in order for the blank to look uniform. So, that means more effort, and with effort opens up the possibility of breaking the surface of the blank which in turn causes the use of those tweezers.
The best advice I can give is to finish with PG after you remove the old painted finish and scuff with a fine Scotch Brite pad until the desired effect.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: April 09, 2012 03:12AM

Good lighting can be your best friend when stripping a blank back to naked graphite. I use a dull knife edge or dull single edge razor. Hold it a t 90 degrees to the blank, and just scrape it off. I dow short sections at a time, rotating as I go. Holding the blank at an angle to the light after you've done a full pass round will show any bits you've missed. Only after I've done the whole thing and inspected it do I break out the ultra fine scotchbrite and finish up.

Date: April 09, 2012 06:41AM

I stripped the blank Sat evening. slathered it with Citri Strip and went to town with a popsicle stick and dull razer blade. Took about an hour not including waiting for the CitriStrip to do its job. Then hit it with a very light sand with 400 to even it out. Came out Great! This is the third blank i have done like this and no big deal.

Mr. Cullen -your finished product looks great. Wonder if a light spray coat of Satin Kryon clear would work also.

Thanks for the reply gents.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster