I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why split grip
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 03:26AM

I'm a novice looking for some opinions on benefits/disadvantages of a split grip. My next build will be for a spinning blank 8 to 8'6" ML fast for jigs and cranks for walleye.
Thanks
Harry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why split grip
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 07:31AM

HI,

Sometimes it is as simple as it appeals to the owner. It does have a nice feel to it. It looks different. The exposed area may be beat up in a rod holder. It removes weight from the rod. how much depending on the weight of the missing material.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 09:32AM

Harry,
In the grand scope of things, I think that there are 0 fishing advantages, but a very big cost advantage in rod building because a split grip amount of cork costs about 1/5th the cost of cork for a conventional grip.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2012 09:41AM

I have to agree with Harry and capt Neil. Zero fishing benefits apart from the obvious and that this the asthetics of the rod and reducing the weight . I personally prefer using a split grips simply because, and nothing more, is the look and feel of them. However, like capt Neil said the expose butt section may get knocked around and damages if using a rod holder. As far as catching more fish, well I can see how it would make a difference other than having a lighter rod that allows you to spend more time fishing more comfortably. If it can achieve this, Im all for it.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 10:03AM

Good enough. Thanks guys

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 10:13AM

Zero benefits? Really?
In a tip down configuration the weight reduction at the butt end makes it much more comfortable to fish.
I use a split grip on my spoon rod for Salmon and certainly prefer it that way.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 10:27AM

I totally disagree with the zero benefits in fishing, but I don't feel a need to change anyone's mind. For me, it really helps out for two handed casting, and I make several hundred casts whenever I go out.

Date: April 05, 2012 10:31AM

Okay, here's one more advantage in fishing situations. You can put the hook keeper behind the reel.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ostusa.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 12:51PM

unless the rod lives in a rod holder, i put on a split grip.

the split lines up great with the middle of your forearm on both spinning and casting rods. I find i am able to set the hook, lock the but against my forearm, and fight fish with one hand and the rod is extremely stable. I see this as a great benefit.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: April 05, 2012 01:35PM

It's a fashion statement! In another decade, you won't see nearly as many. Wait another 10 years, and they'll be making a comeback. They may be on the same cycle as vested suits!:)

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 01:57PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, here's one more advantage in fishing
> situations. You can put the hook keeper behind
> the reel.

Do you like those? I've never been a fan.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 02:17PM

Here's my 2cents....It's just a visual thing and another location to add dec wraps, very slight if any advantage for actual fishing. They do get beat to death in a rod holder. Add a hook keep in the mix and put on a couple treble hooks and put that in a rod holder, the destruction will happen sooner.....Again, my 2cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 02:18PM by Fred Trahan.

Date: April 05, 2012 02:48PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
> Chuck Mills Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Okay, here's one more advantage in fishing
> > situations. You can put the hook keeper behind
> > the reel.
>
>
> Do you like those? I've never been a fan.

Open style (drop shot) hook keepers can be a bear on spinning rods. I don't like them there... some customers insist on it. So, then I like them there.

Fred - In my neck of the woods no one puts a bass rod in a rod holder with treble hooks on a hook keeper. In fact no one I know has rod holders in their boat, and that includes my small lake walleye friends.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 02:50PM

In my opinion, the one disadvantage is that if you need to dress warmly, or you are heavy, the bulbous end of a split grip wants to catch on your clothes.

The idea of reducing the cost of the cork might be valid. However there is no free lunch! There will be extra time spent fooling with multiple grip sections plus the cost of extra winding checks and any other special hardware needed to smooth out the look of the handle and reel seat.

If you build something that's "bare-bones," there should be some weight reduction. On the other hand, this open area on custom split-grip rods seem to attract decoration. Feathers, skin, decals, thread work, anodized aluminium trim-rings or sleeves plus any extra clear finish probably equals or outweighs the cork removed.
Garry2R's

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 04:08PM

I understand Chuck, but I have seen that scenario down on the Gulf Coast with bay boats.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 04:11PM

I understand. If I was using rod holders then I'd go full grip.

Garry - the butt of a split grip rod can be any size or shape. On cold weather rods where life jackets and bulky clothing are involved I prefer a shorter rear grip.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 04:29PM

Fred Trahan Wrote:
> I understand Chuck, but I have seen that scenario
> down on the Gulf Coast with bay boats.

That's always been my issue. Granted, they're just riding there until I get to the next spot but just about anywhere is better than using one of the guides to me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 04:46PM

Both for hook keepers and full length grips.
Whenever a rod is not in a hand, it is in a rod holder. When ever a line is not in the water, it is in a hook holder. This is one of my main concerns about using a split grip. The blank gets very badly geat up with rod holder use with a split grip.

REW

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 06:08PM

I do not see where the blank can get beat up in a rod holder. The bottom of the grip is a larger diameter than the blank and the cork or EVA is making contact with the rod holder. The main grip is larger in diameter than the blank and it's making contact with the inside of the rod holder. So tell me how the blank in the split grip area is getting beat up in the rod holder when it's not even in contact with the inside of the rod holder. I have never seen split grips on rods beat up while being stored in rodholders.

Lance

Posted by: David Lynch (74.209.159.---)
Date: April 05, 2012 06:30PM

i agree with lance . i use them all the time in rod holders with no damage , but on the deck of my bass boat way more carnage

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster