I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva shaping
Posted by: James Bare (50.105.6.---)
Date: April 05, 2012 01:27AM

I don't have a lathe or a power wrapper or anything so I'll be doing this all by hand. So which would be the best way to sand down the edges of eva grips so it meets up to a butt cap, reel seat, or to taper it towards the rod blank some? Would it be better to sand it down first then put it on the rod or to glue everything up and then tape off the reel seat/blank/butt cap and then sand the eva down to match?

Also what's the best way of cutting eva? I have been using a sharp knife and trying to cut slow and straight but it doesn't always happen.

Thanks,
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva shaping
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 05:25AM

I use a Drill lathe I picked up from Grizzly tools. Fairly cheap for the work it does. can't turn wood on it but works well for cork and eva

Hobby Lathe H2629

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 05:38AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 02:13PM

Yep! Use the same set up as Berry. I'm very well pleased with the set up.As stated won't turn wood, but handles eva and cork real well. Have mine mounted on a 1"x8"x4' board so it's portable. I do all my turning out doors to keep dust out from my work area.

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Date: April 05, 2012 04:45PM

Don; mines mounted the same way 6" extra on each end for clamping

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 04:50PM

James,
Take a variable speed drill, sit down on a chair. Take the grip that is clamped between two washers and nuts on a thread rod, buit up if necessary with masking tape for a nice internal filt, chuck the threaded rod into the drill, Turn the drill on low speed, clamp the drill between your legs, and shape the handle.

If you want to get fancy, you can have a board with a v cut in the end and rest the end of the spinning threaded rod in the V when shaping if you prefer. Total cost about 30 cents. (assuming that you already own a corded electric drill. )

Good luck
REW

Date: April 06, 2012 12:06AM

I like the drill and threaded rod idea, I'll have to go to the hardware store and get the stuff i need. Thanks

Date: April 06, 2012 01:58PM

Be careful with that all thread if you should bend it,it could get ugly

[www.rodbuildingforum.com]

Date: April 06, 2012 11:15PM

Yeah I bet it could. I eyeballed the piece I got before I bought it and then double checked it by chucking it in the drill and giving it a spin. I will give it a go tomorrow and see how it works now that the wind has died down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster