I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Wave Stripper
Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.11.---)
Date: April 04, 2012 11:49AM

Wondering if any of you have run into any complications/problems using a Micro Wave Stripper on a spinning rod. I put one on a med light spin rod and it cast just fine. Looks nice. Haven't had a chance to fish with it yet. Just wondering what experience any of you have had. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Wave Stripper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2012 01:48PM

Unless you're using a very large reel with very large diameter line I can't envision why you would have any problem with that guide.

Date: April 04, 2012 11:25PM

Will be using a 1000 Shimano with 6-8 lb test. Practice casts have been very smooth. This rod will be for me. Thanks for the reply Tom. I'm going to put TM on it tomorrow and will fish it this weekend.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 06:48AM

I allow my finish to fully cure before use ... 5 day minimum.

Date: April 05, 2012 01:29PM

Jim, but what if the fish can't wait? I know, I'll just get out my little SC111 and accomodate them!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 04:32PM

I wasn't crazy about the guide's weight but that's probably just me.
The 2 guide trains weighed pretty close to the same but it felt a little cumbersome to me with the majority of the weight in one place. Others didn't notice it but it just felt off.
I got good performance out of it though.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: April 06, 2012 09:15AM

While the microwave system will work quite well for what you are doing, it is overbuilt for such a light application. It is designed to be sturdy enough for use on a pretty beefy inshore saltwater rod. For your application starting with about a size 16 high frame match style guide would give you excellent performance and be a lot lighter, that is how I build my light spinning rods.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 08, 2012 07:51PM

Steve,
I just got back from Perdido pass and GS pier about an hour ago.You will be fine and love them
I had three rods with that guide setup on it and the smallest uses a 2000 size reel( a RF 765 for sheepshead and slot reds/stray blues),a general pole for backline pompanos and a big one. A beast of a new blank from MHX that is a 2 piece 1-4 oz smoker stopper for sure. Those king fish had no chance. The local pier rats were all over those things when i stood behind them in the pass and cast my snobbled baits way beyond them. By rediculous amounts. At 10 last night some guys were putting enough pressure onto the rods and guides to break off 2 oz weights on 20 lb leaders. If you know that pass we were getting way beyond the main channel.
You will love those weird looking guides, they are heavy but it is the first guide so not as much of a problem as i thought they would be.
Now if i had my choice, i would want them also avalable in an M frame and made like the minima 4's. But i also could handle more than one Christmas in a year....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 09:56AM

You could make up the two guide set up
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster