I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

decal problem
Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 07:54PM

I am currently building two prize rods for our local kids fishing derby and I tried to use some staples clear address labels and an inkjet printer to make the labels. I stuck it ont he rod, wrapped over the end and I put color preserver over it. When I went to blot the cp dry with a paper towel, the ink came off.

What did I do wrong? Any resposnes would be most appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: decal problem
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 09:07PM

You need to spray with Krylon workable fixative before applying any finish or CP to inkjet labels. You can get this at any craft store in the artists section.

Should work fine if you do this extra step. 2 coats, about an hour apart should do it.

Terry

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 09:08PM

Ink jet ink is water soluble, so the CP dissolved the ink.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 09:40PM

Why did you blot the Cp

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.tex.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 09:41PM

what about using a color laser printer for the labels? I know not everyone has acess to one, but will the color preserver affect one printed that way? You might be able to get someone to print it for you that has a color laser in their office.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 09:42PM

Check out Decal Connection

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2012 10:00PM

John I use an ink jet printer for decals all the time. Just let the ink dry for at least a day you will not need cp, just put on a good coat of finish and the ink should be fine. Some times the edges will turn lose if this happens just run a thread around the decal till the finish dries.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 04, 2012 11:36PM

I do a LOT of ink Jet decals, although not on clear material but I do them on vinyl and metallic media and I have never had the ink run or dissolve and my decals are usually 90 to 100% covered with ink. I spray with Fix-a-Tiff and let dry overnight. I have done them without Fix-a-Tiff with no problem. I use CP on the edges to prevent edges from lifting.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.195.---)
Date: April 06, 2012 07:54AM

I expect there are differences in inks because I have had trouble with ink coming off, unlike some others who have not. Mike and I use essentially the same process now, with a fixative over the decal before using any finish or CP, and using CP along the edge after application to prevent finish from lifting the edge. This works well for me. I spray the decal while it is still on the media sheet and I think it makes the decal less easily damaged as well as fixing the ink. When applying the decal use the shiny side of the backing paper to protect the decal while burnishing it down.

While I have no data, I would be suspicious regarding the UV resistance of mailing labels, even with finish over the top. Decal media is UV resistant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster