I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommended Lathe Accessories
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.142.55.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:00AM

I now have the Jet 1220 lathe. Now I need to add some accessories. What accessories do you all recommend? What are you basic ones needed, and what are the ones that are nice to have but not necessarily needed?

I have the following:
I bought a NOVA2 chuck and insert this last week (on sale at woodcraft for $139).
Keyless Drill Chuck 2mt 1/2"
Mini Lathe Tools
Pen set of Lathe Tools - gouge, parting tool, and skew
3/8" Mandrel

What is needed to center bore long grips?

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy Reed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommended Lathe Accessories
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:09AM

Get full sized lathe tools, not miniature. Sorby or Crown, I prefer the latter - but either will do. You will be able to do most cork jobs with a roughing gouge and a diamond parting tool - start with those.

I would suggest a set of 4 mandrels ... 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 7/16". Call Swampland and ask about TK mandrels.

Definitely get a nice selection of sandpapers. US or European manufactured will provide the best results, IMO. Cloth backed is preferable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 11:10AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:39AM

You will find that "bradpoint" drill bits will track truer when drilling with the grain on the lathe. The longer the bore, the more likely it is to get some drifting due to grain density variations. I often find it advisable to drill from each end rather then attempt a very long bore.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:45AM

I haven't tried them on cork but bought a Easy Wood tools "finisher". does a fantastic job on wood and plastic reel seats. It's to the point where I really don't use my traditional tools anymore.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:49AM

What will you be turning with it? EVA, cork, wood, all the above? IMO, for long bores you hsould have an extended bradpoint bit set, they are $15 for a cheap set which is suotable for EVA. I also use Irwin Spedbores which are much better than Brad points. Kepe in mind hte longe rthe bit the more it WILL wobble, so oyu also need a set of shorter bits. If you are going ot turn wood and are going to buy tools...factor in how you will sharpen them. ITis not easy to properly sharpen a tool, and if you half ass learning how to sharpen it will be a major waste of money going in on this endeavor. I do not turn wood so I use stones to hone my skew chisel, but I have no clue how to properly sharpen it. I read books, watched videos, I just am not good at it and I have screwed up cheaper pen turning tools (which are OK if all oyu will do is reel seat inserts in wood)

YOu need a chuck to hold the mandrels too, 3 jaw micro or a jacobs for the headstock side.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.142.55.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:53AM

Regarding the sandpaper - I've bought kits from Billy V in the past, they are cloth backed, and seem to last forever.

I've heard good things about the easy wood tools with the carbide tip; most people I've talked to seem to prefer them over any of their other tools.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 05:04PM

Jeremy,
One of my often used accessories is the addition of a ball bearing tail stock assembly. This assembly allows me to mount various tail stock pieces into the ball bearing supported tail stock.
In particular when working with certain pieces, I like to have a keyless chuck in the tail stock to hold that end of the work piece. With the ball bearing tail stock assembly, it is possible to secure a work piece into the keyless chuck; but still have it spin freely at the lathe turning speed.

I have an assembly, that allows for different accessory tail stock configurations to be mounted.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 07, 2012 08:56PM

The most needed accessory once you purchase a lathe is a dedicated credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2012 02:04AM

Mike,
Approaching $2000.00

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster