I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProKote 2nd coat time
Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: April 01, 2012 05:14PM

Do you need to wait the recommended 24 hrs? The first coat is slightly tacky but I would have thought ok to whack another coat on. been 12 hours at least

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProKote 2nd coat time
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2012 06:12PM

As long as your brush doesn't hang up, you should be okay. Although, it's never a bad idea to closely follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 06:23PM

I hope you do not have a Bad Mix -- Any finish i have used was Dry To The Touch after 6 - 8 hours

I would wait till it is dry just to be sure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 08:13PM

I've recoated ProKote several times after 8 hours or so with no problems.

ProKote will not be "dry" to the touch at 6-8 hours. It's often tacky up to 24 hours depending on how warm your room is.

Drew

Date: April 02, 2012 12:10AM

Room is not too warm so yes still a bit tacky, seems to have gone on ok though
Cheers

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 02, 2012 04:05AM

Hi Rod,
I'm a 24hrs person before a recoat and I'd follow the manufacturers recommendation in any case. I prefer dry to the touch before a second coat as well although there is probably nothing wrong with applying a second coat when it is tacky if you are sure it's going to harden completely.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: April 02, 2012 07:45AM

Sounds like it would be a good Hot Weather finish

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 02, 2012 10:18AM

Yes you could be right Bill. I recoated this morning and this time put a heater on low before hand, its coming into autumn here but the last few days have been a bit cooler than normal. Its averaging around 20-24 °C (68-75 °F) but yesterday when I did the first coat it was maybe 16-18 °C (64 °F) and today the same, hence the heater. 12 hrs later and the second coat is dry . Yes it does recommend a temperature of 70 °F upwards, so that probably was the reason. I must admit I also mixed the second coat for a lot longer just to make sure. I don't think it was the mixing though I'm very careful in that regard.

Nice product I reckon

Rod

Date: April 02, 2012 02:41PM

Even at those temps here in Jersey I still get TM to set dry to the touch 8 hours maybe a little more

I go for a cigarette and always have the door open 7 ft from the dryer If it is warm I crack it open and leave it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 01:14AM

ProKote is a little bit different then some oth the other epoxy's like flexcoat as it take longer to dry up to at leat 24 hr's but even more is better as 24hr's is a must and it stays soft to longer then most other's but the wait is worth it so do not get in a hurry to recoat.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 02:20PM

yep, atleast 18hr-24hours for the second coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster