I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Keys builders
Posted by: Kurt Joseph (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 04:28PM

I am a novice builder in marathon seeing if there is anybody down here to converse with an old conch regarding building rods as a hobby. I just need a little help getting started and do not want to waste experienced builders time with mundane questions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keys builders
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 06:24PM

This is the site for rod building questions

Ask away O yea it is the best on the net

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 06:30PM

Kurt;
Welcome to the craft and the Forum.
If you un-hide your email address you might get some direct replies.

I suggest starting by combing through all the info on this site.
Start with the Glossary, Library and FAQ's.
Tom Kirkman's book on Custom Rod Building is a great primer.

As you need more specific information, search the Forum (using ALL DATES) and scour the posts.
Note of the names of those who give the best answers.
The Forum is open to all to respond and so it's up to you to determine which info is most reliable.
In time you'll recognize a bunch of names which you can count on.

RodMaker Magazine will be your best friend if you build rods.
You might want to start with a back issue to see how good it is.
Select one that pertains to your type of rods.
To me it's the best resource of all and an incredible value to boot.

If you search for an answer in the Forum and don't find what you need don't hesitate to post the question.
The more accurate you can be in your question the better the answers you'll get.
This board is the best I've ever found.
People here are incredibly eager to be of assistance.

DG

P.S. My first reaction was to post the following response instead:

Invite me to your home for a week of fishing and rod building and I'll spill my brain gladly.
(They're running commercials showing the beauty of Marathon, FL and I just watch with envy.)

But ,seriously, if you describe the types of fishing you do and the particular prey you seek you'll get a lot of detailed replies.

Oh, the last thing:
Mark your calendar for the 2013 Custom Rod Building Expo in High Point, NC.
You'll thank me if you attend.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 06:33PM

Kurt

You just made a friend

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 08:06PM

Hey waste our time. That is what we are here for)

Nothing like practice to answer your own questions. In the end you have to try different brands and types of blanks as nobody can tell you want you will like. My idea of the perfect yellow tail flat line blank isn't going to be the same as yours. Getting over the idea of what something should look like and thinking the balnk needs to be listed for your intended use are two of the biggies IMHO.

It helped me when I went to the control center and added my location in my tag line. Still I have only hooked up with two guys and then only a couple/few times.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: April 02, 2012 06:45AM

Russ

" It helped me when I went to the control center and added my location in my tag line. Still I have only hooked up with two guys and then only a couple/few times."

I agree after adding my city I have had several builders contact me, We now have a group from 6 -10 builders who meet monthly for breakfast and rod talking., Most of the contacts were made by having my city in my signature line. I encourage all posters to do this. There could be some one down the street from you who builds rods. you never know.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: April 02, 2012 06:07PM

Thanks for the responses. I have 3 blanks to use as my break-in rods the only problem is I didn't order them I acquired them. They are 7 foot graphite blanks and look n feel like light spin 12-15 lb spin maybe eve lighter line class. My first question would be do I just buy a basic group of guides for the blank? I have looked at my other rods and they are longer so guide matching is different. I know this rod will be tested on yt's and dolphin so I can get the feel and kinks out and learn so although guides are a very important aspect of rod building, they don't have to be expensive. Any help would be appreciated. Kurt

Date: April 03, 2012 05:44PM

I guess I do no know how to work this forum yet. I received a great response with my initialquestion and when I responded I didn't receive any postings ( please see my first keys builders) if I am doing this wrong please let me know thanks Kurt

Date: April 03, 2012 08:56PM

No, you didn't do anything wrong. It is hard to offer any advice on unknown blanks. In the library there is an article on guides for spinning outfits. For years fuji hardloy were considered the best cheap guide so you might wish to use them.

A raw blank will feel a bit stronger than the finished rod. Given that, those blanks might be a little light for dolphin.....but maybe just right for yellow tail. Between the cost of the parts, your time/labor, and what it costs to go dolphin fishing.....you might be better off spending a few bucks for a known blank?

Rainshadow RCLB80XL is about 40 bucks and is a wonderful 15 (17) 20# class live bait blank. It will handle throwing live bait to sighted dolphins and drifting baits for anything from kings to sails. I use mine with a penn 525 loaded with 17# mono (acid wrapped). it will do a lot in our waters short of bottom fishing with a lot of lead. Way more rod than you want for yellow tail....some have caught marlin on it and some like it for tarpon....I use it for kingfish. It is a fairly light and durable composite blank and I really think you will be happy with it for a first "budget" build.

I'm a little too far north and my car is shaky..... but I might be able to be convinced to hit a drift boat out of key largo and let you fish with it for the day. You can click on my name and send me an email.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 09:55PM

Kurt,
I think you would be best served by buying a book, such as Tom Kirkman's, and reading that first. it will give you a basis of knowledge from which you can seek answers to questions pertinent to the types of rods you want to build. If no one from you area responds on this forum, you might want to ask around at some of the bait and tackle shops. The majority of rodbuilders are not active on the internet. Once you start looking to purchase components, find a sponsor or two (listed on the upper left of this page), and develop a relationship with them. Those folks can be VERY helpful, especially to a new builder. Get in touch with Mudhole (they are in Oviedo), and ask for a catalog. It has a great section in the front that tells the basics of building a fishing rod.
Good Luck!

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: April 06, 2012 03:14PM

I want to thank everybody for the info. I went back and hit the books some more. Russ thanks for your input would like to pick your brain some more if you could email me at kgjoseph@bellsouth.net I would appreciate it. I really love this forum and appreciate the time u take to give great advise. I'll be back!! Kurt

Date: April 06, 2012 05:33PM

Phone call work for you? Wouldn't want to appear too invasive....but no secrets with the internet these days if you have a name and location. I have free cell weekends and after 7 PM....so if you will be home tonight. I'm no expert, but I sure have opinons, and am glad to help in anyway I can.

Let me know because I don't want to call uninvited.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 06, 2012 07:02PM

Russ thanks anytime 305 481 4838

Posted by: Byron (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 06:30PM

Kurt,

Was just in Marathon today at the Mosquito Control Board Room for training. Like you, I am also very new to rod building, and would enjoy getting to know others in the area doing the same thing.

First build will be a 909-4 TFO TiCr. Just got it from UPS today, very exciting.

Byron
Big Pine Key, Florida

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster