I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding check finishing questions
Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2012 06:54PM

I just used aluminum winding checks for the first time and was curious if people run the epoxy up the check or stop at the beginning of it. I seem to see photos of both and was wondering what the pluses do minuses of epoxying over them is.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 07:05PM by Mitchell Karmel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding check finishing questions
Posted by: Soc Demos (101.119.17.---)
Date: March 30, 2012 11:43PM

Hi Mitchell,
Im new to rodbuilding, & have also used several aluminium w/c's. I have completed rods both coating the w/c with finish & leaving it uncoated. This will depend on the type (style) w/c that you are using as some are straight, ribbed, tapered, etc. For me it depends on how close the w/c sits on the blank & how high my butt wrap &/or decal are compared to the w/c. For example: if I have a w/c in place that is slightly larger than the blank & I am doing a simple butt wrap in 'A' thread, I don't coat the w/c. I do however, make sure that the butt wrap & epoxy finish neatly seal any gaps between the w/c & blank so as not to allow any water to travel into the w/c, wrap or grip area.
If I have a w/c that Is a close fit on the blank & I am doing a 'bulkier' butt wrap that is the same height or higher than the O.D. of the w/c where it meets the wrap, then I will coat the w/c with finish & aim for a smooth transition (ramp) between the w/c & butt wrap area. The goal again is to not allow for any unsightly gaps that may permit water to travel into the w/c. I am by no means an experienced rod builder, & can not give you technical advice on the matter, only my thoughts & practices. Hopefully you will receive some more advice on the Subject, which I could also learn from.
Best Regards,
Soc.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 31, 2012 02:27AM

Hi Mitchell,
Personally I finish my epoxy at the start of the wc and ensure that the epoxy fills the area between the blank and the wc. I can't see any pros for covering the wc with epoxy other than the worry of water getting behind it and that would be a result of the wc not being installed properly in the first place. Winding checks do not have what I'd call a water break free surface so I attack mine with a demel and a small bit on the end next to the foregrip and the inside, then use enough epoxy to make sure the gap between the check and the foregrip is filled. Clean off the excess and your good to go. Perhaps some of the the other learned gents have some pros for covering the wc with epoxy but I can't see any.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2012 07:28AM

When I see the check covered with epoxy it looks like a hack job to me.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 31, 2012 04:50PM

Ummmm, OK.

I cover mine all the way. I guess I am a hack. But, I do it because they will corrode and look crappy after a year of use. Covering it will ensure that it stays crisp clean and sharp looking.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2012 04:59PM

Kevin,
Good salt water advice.
Bare aluminum is n.g. in saltwater; must cover!!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2012 05:53PM

Then it will just yellow..

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2012 07:15PM

I am moving away from aluminum winding checks and using rubber checks or even rubber o-rings. I don't like the idea of restricting the rod from deforming if it happens to bend that deeply.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 31, 2012 07:30PM

Most aluminium checks are anodized. To prevent corrosion, all you should need to do is keep it unscratched and wash clean after use.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 31, 2012 08:17PM

I've got a lot of rods with aluminium checks and they've been there for a while, some of them get a lot of use but none of them show any signs of corrosion. They always get a good wash as soon as I get home.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2012 08:40PM

i've done both. sometimes i coat over the checks to make it a perfectly smooth transition to the wrap. if you do it carefully it won't look like a hack ;)

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 08:25AM

Nope. I use Threadmaster. NO yellowing.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster