I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help
Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.sub-75-251-204.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:16PM

Hey guys. I am looking to build a rod for "shooting docks" with small crappie jigs. I am trying to take the cheapest route. I need a blank that is between 4'6 and 5' for the least amount of money I am on a budget and will want to build 5 of these one for me and the rest will be for my kids. any advice would be great

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:58PM

IMO, you need an extra fast blank. I don't know what it out there that meets your financial requirements. However, give your favorite vendor a call and go from there.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2012 12:14AM

My favorite crappie rod is a drop-section fly blank but a less costly alternative, especially if your kids are tough on the rods, would be the lightest weight fiberglass blank you can find; the soft action makes it easier to flip light jigs with a side cast. If you want a faster action then the Mudhole unsanded blanks will work well enough.

I've built quite a few kids rods and would highly recommend an underspin reel instead of the traditional closed face push-button reel. With the push-button reel you need to teach the kids to move the rod forward and release the line by moving their thumb back; kinda awkward. The push-button reel also sits on top of the blank and the kids are fighting torque more then they would a crappie. The underspin reel replaces the push-button with a lever at the front of the reel and the reel sits on the bottom of the rod so no torque, and you teach them to move the rod forward and release the lever by pointing at the fish. Also, once they get a little bigger you can simply replace the underspin reel with a regular spinning reel.

I wouldn't suggest building them a rod themed on their favorite cartoon or movie character because next year they may be more "grown up" and won't want to touch the sponge-bob rod. They'll be more impressed if their rod has their name on it and looks just like your grown-up rod.

Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.sub-75-251-204.myvzw.com)
Date: March 30, 2012 12:35AM

Ok my kids all have rods let me explain what we are gone be doing with these rods. We approach a dock in the boat, we take our rod in one hand and bait in the other. we point the rod where we want the bait to go, which is under the dock as far as you can get it. We pull the bait like a rubber band and release thus shooting the bait off the rod. There is no casting involved, I guess you could say we are using the rod like a sling shot. Sorry for not providing the info to start with. And by the way I am 32 and love my sponge bog, 4 piece, sage z axis lol so does my youngest son whom helped me build the most expensive sponge bob toy to ever be made but believe it or not the guys I fish with all over this country have tried to buy it countless times over after casting it. Cant part from it my though lol

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: March 30, 2012 07:57AM

batson spg601

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 30, 2012 08:25AM

Hello Bryan

Jann's Netcraft have some fiberglass rods for $9.95 ea. 5' 1pc. slow U/L 1/16-3/16 .360 butt 5.0 tip.
The P/N: 297-111.

Cheap sturdy and reliable.

Happy Sling Fishing.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2012 09:16AM

Bryan,

Your post brings back great memories!

Way back when, my buddy & I tried to see just how much punishment a light FW rod & reel with a Zebco 202 & larger 606 could take. We would fish the salt water piers at Santa Monica, Hermosa, & Redondo with several light FW rods sling-shotting spinner & spoons & feathers to bonito & other species in a manner exactly the way you decribe except not targeting boat docks.

We broke more than a few rods "high sticking" them durring the cast (sling-shotting). We would just point the rod at the ocean, grab the lure, pull & bend the rod tip, then SHOOT the lure to the fish releasing the button on the reel! MAN! what a blast! Surprisingly though the Zebco reels held up quite well despite the punishment we put them though. Like I said, the rods, not so much. The few rods that were able to withstand such treatment were either Ugly-Stix or a mid/slow action glass blank which were able to handle the "high-sticking" that occures durring that type of so-called casts.

I suppose you could "side-shoot" and lessin the amount of "high-sticking" and get away with a faster action blank but I would highly recommend you stick with mid to slow action and glass construction. Mid-modulas graphite fast action blanks will NOT hold up as you will certainly break many a tip section just in "casting".

The right rod & reel though will provide a TON of pleasure though so HAVE FUN! I know I did!.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 30, 2012 11:13AM

There is a film from 1956, on youtube search "1956 World Champion Spin Casting Demonstration " at 2:50 he does an "underhand flip" with the fiberglass rod. The tip bends beyond 180 degrees on the cast. In slow motion it's beautiful. Another one is "High Speed Video of Ultralight Spin Casting" pretty cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 11:30AM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: John Locke (---.dupont.com)
Date: March 30, 2012 04:12PM

I also recall the ole Slingshot cast from some 45-50 years ago. Managed to drive a treble clear through my finger! Suggest a good pair of safety/sunglasses; the 'tension' vector of the rod/line is much more inline with ones face than with a normal cast.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 31, 2012 02:02AM

Hi Bryan,
A shame that Shakespeare do not make Ugly Stiks blanks available any more as they would be pretty good for what you want to do. Ken Preston told me that Gator blanks are very similar to Ugly Stiks so they would be well worth a look. I've got no idea of the price of them but if your going to buy five then you will get a good deal. You might have to chop a bit off the butts to get the length you require but just make sure what your left with will do the job you want before you make any cuts. Several of the sponsors on the left carry Gator blanks and if their similar to Ugly Stiks then you wont have to worry too much about "high sticking" or broken tips. A few more dollars spent on the right blank for what you want to do with them may save you a lot of cash and effort in the long run.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Kern Davis (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 10:51PM

Raymond ,you hit on the head, spent alot of time out there on hermosa pier casting bubbles and feathers to bonita and the rare yellowtails. The macks would just mess everybody up that didnt know how to control them 3 at a time. Food was cheap then, burger, fries and a coke 2.50, pack a smokes 1.10. What great times. Sold macks for 50 cents apiece. 85,86,and 87. Let the good times roll. Oh, and "Flip Jack" on the strand.

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster