I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kayak fishing in Indian River Lagoon
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:03PM

I am considering getting a Kayak for fishing the Indian River Lagoon and other waters neat Titusville, FL. I'm looking for suggestions and ideas from anyone who has experience with fishing from a Kayak. The Hobie Mirage system has caught my eye. I wil be fishing alone most of the time, but like the option of the two person model such as the Oasis. I wonder how it would handle as a single? I think I can get my wife to come with me at times.

I'd appreciate any comments on the Hobie line, as well as others that seem satisfactory.

Thanks,

Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kayak fishing in Indian River Lagoon
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:33PM

The Hobie Mirage Drive is extremely efficient. Buy one and don't look back, unless you're wondering where all the paddle guys are.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:38PM

The mirage system can't be beat. It leaves your hands free and gives you lots of control.
Anecdotal evidence from years ago...
Some friends were kayak fishing in the ocean off Wellfleet, Mass and the wind was keeping the paddlers from returning to shore.
One who had a Hobie was able to tow two others back to shore with ease.
Great yaks.
Would love to have one.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:40PM

I would encourage you to look at Native Watercraft. They are preferred over most manufacturers in my area. Native offers a pedal drive system as well. As a matter of fact, they offer a fully rigged boat in the Ultimate 14.5 Propel Angler. I wouldn't even think about getting a tandem kayak ... they are called "divorce boats" for a good reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 05:42PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 06:29PM

I am a kayak fisherman and co founder of the forum CoastalGeorgiaKayakFishing.com I would love to talk with you on kayak fishing. You are welcome to visit our forum there is no charge. You must register in order to post. I am nubby.

Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 07:36PM

You also may want to check out the Jackson Big Tuna for the 2 person model (which also paddles well as a solo kayak) or the Cuda for a solo. Both are designed for fishing with many storage options. The comfortable seat makes it work while.

Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:28PM

I have several Hobie kayaks. They are very efficient and leave hands free. The flippers are ingenious. They do need about 18 in of water for the flipper system but you can flatten the flippers against the hull and use the paddle to move to deeper water. The are also heavier than regular kayaks. I would get the single. The double is very heavy. They are well built but kind of expensive. They have a new one out that you cam stand in and completely rigged for fishing with even rod storage.

Jeff

Columbia, SC

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:58PM

Actually, you can feather the fins and continue to operate by short-stroking the pedals. The Mirage Drive system will function perfectly in only 8 to 10 inches of water.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 09:13AM

I have a Hobie Outback and you really can't beat the hands free fishing flexibility. The performance in less than optimal conditions like wind and waves can get you out of places that the paddlers would be stuck in. Hobies all have a sail kit option as well (I don't have this) that look cool. Also great for bigger water as you can get places more quickly than you can with a paddle kayak. I used to get blown off big lakes with my pontoon boat but no longer an issue. Stability is outstanding.

It sounds like your primary activity with the boat will be fishing, and your wife comes along on occasion. I would get the single Hobie, and either get her one as well, or get a less expensive paddle boat for the times she might want to come along. She'll never want to be out as long as you want to fish so giving her some flexibility will improve the relationship. :-) My wife and I reached this compromise.

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 07:16PM

Hobie kayaks fare better in rough water environments like oceans, rivers or wind-blown lakes. The Native Watercraft kayaks resemble a canoe in some ways and are best suited to calm waters. As mentioned above, both have pedal drives.

If you plan on covering long distances or encountering windy conditions, a pedal drive is a good idea. Calm, very shallow waters lend themselves to paddlers.

Posted by: Clive G Morris (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2012 08:53PM

Terry's comment is right on the mark! I got one for my wife too, and she mostly wants to stay out as long as I do!! We got rid of our double paddle kayak, tried the double Hobie, but found the singles more flexible
Hands-free, except in VERY shallow water!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 10:26PM

In the past ten years while I have been fishing from my kayak I have seen a considerable number of kayaks in the Indian River and the Mosquito Lagoon, many of them also fishing. I can only remember seeing one foot-paddle kayak during this time. I was impressed with its speed. I do not know if the apparently small number of Hobie kayaks is due to cost or some other factor, but the fact they are seemingly rare in these waters would cause me concern before I purchased one to use there. Please post what you eventually decide to buy and how it works for you. I am interested.

Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 08:40PM

Cost is probably a significant factor accounting for the number of these kayaks. They are pretty expensive but they last forever and very durable.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 02, 2012 10:21PM

In Tampa Bay, most paddlers are looking for a very lightweight craft AND one with extreme shallow water characteristics.

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 09:05AM

Another option has presented itself---that being a small flats boat. (what a women i married). A little more info might help with suggestions. I am a 67 yr old snowbird and will be returning to MI in a couple of weeks so the purchase will be put off until late Fall. Joints are not as flexible as they used to be so the kayak might be a problem in a few years. Still leaning towards the kayak as I want to have access to the NMZ.
Appreciate the suggestions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster