I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC ???
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:10AM

I built a light 7' spinning rod and ended up with 10 guides on it. Is this correct?

Using a 1000 series reel I calculated the choker to be 40" from the reel face which left me with 34" to the tip. To fill in that area not placing any guides closer than 5", I put 7 size 4's in that space. I had 2 reduction guides prior to the choker.

Just seems excessive and am curious if this is typical. It does cast and function extremely well.

Another question- I have been using a size 6 choker fly guide and then running size 4's the rest of the way. I keep reading that the choker should be the same size as the runners. Does this actually functionally improve the line flow or just weight?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC ???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:29AM

"It does cast and function extremely well. "

There's your answer.

The choker guide is the first running guide. The running guides should all be the same size.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:31AM

Looks like you nailed it. A two guide reduction train is "state of the art" and keep things very light ( I'm not counting the size 6 at the choke point since you could have made that a 4 as well). Extra 4's won't hurt a thing and could actually help. A size 4 in stainless weighs around one half gram, you won't even notice them.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 11:14AM

Your blank will love you and handle fish better.

Date: March 28, 2012 11:20AM

Thanks for the responses. I am curious to the advantage of using the same size choker and running guides. Is it that it gets the line under control at that point and then a straight shot? Or is it just a weight reduction?

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 11:30AM

The high speed photography I have seen makes it look like the line is mostly controlled by the butt guide.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 11:46AM

In a nutshell, using a larger guide for the choker does nothing for you other than add weight to the rod. It also creates a less straight line path.

In the real world, what you have there will be of little practical difference. But in the future, save a few pennies and a tiny bit of weight and make them all the same.

Date: March 28, 2012 11:52AM

That's what I was wondering. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster