I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More advice?
Posted by: Nick Trombley (---.dr01.wyng.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 06:10PM

Hey guys,

I'm back for more advice. I recieved a wrapping/drying set up from Don Newenhouse - what a great set up and what a great guy! Now I'm ready to invest in the material I need to start building. I just have a few questions: First, I'm looking at rainshadow RX7 and MHX blanks for my first couple of builds. Do any of you guys prefer one over the other? Or do you think another line of blanks is better?

Also, do you all think the MHX rod kits are worth looking into for a build or two? Or am I better off just buying everything seperately and getting the guides, etc. that I want? I've been hard pressed to find any information on the kit except for the specific blank it comes with.

I thought I had everything figured out but now that its time to actually start buying stuff, I feel like I'm back at square one. I guess its like they say, "here goes nothing..." Any advice would be great though! Thanks again guys.

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More advice?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 07:40PM

Nick,
I think you are on the right track.
I also think that one of the MHX rod kits is a very good way to go for someone who is building their first rod. Everything will be there and you will have a good chance for an excellent rod.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 07:44PM

It's just a personal opinion, but I would stay away from kits and pick my own components.. It's your build so pick the components that you want. IMO, the MHX blanks are AWESOME but you won't go wrong with either. Both companies have good components and will help you put together the stuff for a quality build.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 07:47PM

both the rainshadow and mhx are great blanks. you will not go wrong choosing either. I might suggest talking to your supplier and you can customize your first build even further. I would suggest trying some different guide set ups. buy some inexpensive guides in the style/s you think you will use and experiment with different setups. taking the time on this will take you great strides in your newfound hobby as you will learn you won't stop at one build. and you will use the guides you bought for other build set ups. there is nothing wrong with the kits, but trying different handles and lengths and differing guide set ups will make it truly custom.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 07:55PM

I agree that the kits drawback is with the guides. They will probably be relatively large, heavy guides compared to the concept guides you can pick yourself. What type of rods will you be building at first?

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.234.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:27PM

You certainly can't go wrong with the MHX blanks.
My suggestion, if you don't want to buy a kit, would be to call Mudhole and go over with them what you have in mind. They'll walk you through selecting components & explain it step by step.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:21PM

Nick if you can find the time please give us a call. We offer the Rainshadow and MHX blanks and have a very good selection in stock. I'll try to answer any and all of your questions to the best of my ability about both lines of these very good blanks. Well be glad to recommend grips and components to match up with either blank you decide to go with for the type of fishing you plan on doing.

Lance

Posted by: Nick Trombley (---.dr01.wyng.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 01:58AM

Thanks for the responses guys! The first build I plan on doing will be a basic spinning set up and will most likely be on a Rainshadow ISB782. This is going to more or less be a practice rod but I plan on using it for some of my smallmouth fishing (casting grubs in a local river). I then plan on doing another spinning build and two casting builds. One of the casting rods will be a cranking rod and the other a light-cover jigging rod. The second spinning rod I hope to build for my dad and will be used primarily for casting small lures for smallmouth and/or walleye. I'm still undecided on these blanks so if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Its too late to get started with some of my other questions...but I'll have more for you guys soon. Thanks for being so forthcoming with info! I can't wait to have some pictures for you guys.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.195.---)
Date: April 01, 2012 10:26AM

If you are like I am, and probably most builders, your workmanship and design skills will improve with every build, and someday you'll look back at your first rods and think about rebuilding them. With that in mind, IMHO, I would start with relatively inexpensive blanks and guides. Even the cheapest are quite good these days. You can also find some really good buys in the closeouts and sales. You probably know that the exotic cork (ground up/put back together) while tougher than normal cork, is quite a bit heavier. The place I would deviate from my conservative approach for the first rod would be the tiptop-tiptops are the only guides I have had to replace due to grooving, and I have a lot of well worn rods with cheap guides, and no problems.

The ISB782 blank is an excellent blank. I just finished one that came in at 3.6 oz and it casts very well.

Be sure to check out the appropriate articles in the library here before ordering guides and building. Another very good source of setup info is the Anglers' Resource site. As others have suggested, most suppliers are very good about consulting with you on your plans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster