I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

D size thread on a bass rod?
Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:46AM

Hey guys

I'm biulding two spinning rods. One for me and one for moma. I wrapped hers with A size color fast thread and had a hard time seeing (poor eyesight} the thread. I've thought about magnifying glass (hands free) but haven't found anything I care to spend the coin for. Have any of you used D size thread on fresh water rods or is it just too big ?

Thanks for any addvise or ways to make it easier.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: D size thread on a bass rod?
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:10AM

I would think most people use A but there's no harm in using D.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:14AM

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive magnifying head set with multi-power capability. Reading glasses aren't expensive at the stores and can help somtimes.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:14AM

I use size A for all my guide wraps and sometimes D on a butt wrap. Couldn't do any of it without my El' Cheapo 1.75 readers

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:19AM

Rick,
Any rod can be wrapped with any size thread that you choose. All of the threads will work.
Larger size threads are easier to see. Larger size threads tend to have a bit rougher or less smooth finish, unless many coats of finish are applied to fill the low spots. But that appearance is not normally a bad thing. It certainly does not affect the function of the rod.

With respect to a magnifier, consider the use of a head mounted magnifier. Many many folks use magnifying aids of some sort. The other key to rod building, is to use adequate light. A good over head light is essential. In addition, it is also important to have very bright task lighting directly on the guide being wrapped. Many times, the additional light can be the difference between a completing a job or not.

When you look at lighting guidelines from the national lighting institute, you will find that for detailed assembly work - which is the definition of rod building - a very very high degree of lighting or a large lumen level is required to do an excellent job with minimum eye strain.

If you check out the prices of these magnifiers, you can see that they can vary in price from $10 and up.

[www.google.com]
I see that the forum truncated the search field. Just do a google search for head mounted magnifiers. You will find a nice selection.

You will also find that some of the very inexpensive magnifiers can be a huge help in building rods. You really don't have to spend a lot of money for a head mounted magnifier. By using a head mounted magnifier, you will have magnification where ever you look.

In addition, if you happen to be a person that wears multi vision glasses, or progressive vision glasses, I might suggest that you go to your eye doctor and pick up a set of single vision glasses that would be set up for about 20 inches. Then, if you combine the single vision glasses with the head mounted magnifier, you will have the necessary visual acuity to take care of the job.

By the way, depending on your vision issue, the use of a pair of 2X or 3X drug store reading glasses may be all that you need for rod building. If you have the sort of vision that can be helped by this variety of glasses, a pair of $10 reading glasses may be all that you need.

Good luck
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 11:21AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:32AM

Rick what size guides do you plan on using?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:36AM

D does not look bad Two coats of light build work well

If you get a magnifier lamp get one with a bulb and change it with one of those new type bulbs brighter light

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:58AM

Size D thread on a bass rod especially towards the tip end will add a considerable amount of weight to your rod. If weight isn't a concern use sz D but realize that your wraps will be a little bulkier. Shouldn't be a problem towards the butt end.

I also use the readers in 2.0 power with an overhead lamp for my wrapping. I tried the headband magnifier but it was very uncomfortable.

Lance

Date: March 27, 2012 12:22PM

Thanks fellas

Yes I'm as blind as a bat. +8 and +9 corrective lenses. The head mount magnifiers look O.K.. Already did the lighting issue.
The guides are Fuji alconite concept guides for a 7' spin set. I haven't got the guides placed on the blank yet so the sizes aren't set in stone. Got an extra 25 size and acouple extra 5s and 6s to see what works best . I'm waiting on a backordered winding check before i can even get my cork and reel seats on.

Thanks for the replys as always good stuff!!

Date: March 27, 2012 02:26PM

Also depending on what thread you use ProWrap A is said to be smaller then others or thinner

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 03:38PM

I have stripped down lots of factory rods and every one of them used big thread. For them it is an issue of time is money and the big thread uses fewer turns and is more forgiving of bad guide prep. I think you would be fine using size D thread, just keep your wraps short, a short wrap of size D thread will weigh less than a wrap that extends a half inch beyond the guide foot using size A thread.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 27, 2012 06:00PM

G,Day Rick

While my eyes are slightly better than yours I still have a lot of trouble finding gaps in the thread when using "A" .I have used all the above suggestions & still had trouble .My solution was to mount a microscope to the thread carriage hooked up to the laptop,I use a 200 magnification & the thread looks like rope on the screen Problem solved now the wraps have no more gaps & if my eyesight gets any worse I can crank the magnification up to 400

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 27, 2012 08:10PM

Hi Barry,
It's good to see the will has found a way, very innovative.
For me my multi focals and a head mounted 3.5 x magnifier and some good task lighting solved the problem.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 27, 2012 10:12PM

maybe find a company that has C instead of A or D

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:34PM

G'Day Col. It was desperation that drove that solution as I had tried everything else. Now I can wrap without looking at the blank & wrap using the screen & any mistakes are found as they happen & my wraps are certainly packed much tighter & I don't have to wear the head magnifier which I found very uncomfortable to wear.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: March 28, 2012 09:04AM

Well I got some D size thread coming to see if it will work. I'm still very green at this so trial and error is my best way to learn.

Time is not an issue because it's my own rod.

Lot of good suggestions and idea's from you guys! I just hope I can get as good as most of you guys with time and practise.

I think I'm goin to try the Head magnifier.

Mike the short wraps sounds like the ticket. Let you guys know when i finally get to start wrapping. Alot of prep left on rod and guides and work is CRAZY right now plus coaching ball for the boys and moma's todo list for spring. Might get started by Easter...

Thanks again

Rick

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:22AM

One of the best remedys for poor eyesight, especially that which comes with age and wisdom is MORE LIGHT. Additional light that shines on the work, but not into your eyes helps a lot. Why, it closes down the iris in your eyes and just like stopping down a camera lense that increases the depth of focus.

Date: April 02, 2012 08:16AM

Hey guys

Well i used D size thread on moma's rod (rewrapped it) it worked GOOD!! I can see it alot better. put 2 coat of flex coat on and it came out very nice. The rod acually balances 1/2 inch up from the stem of the reel and is still extremely light. This rod was more of an assembly than a build if that makes any sense (first rod) it cast a mile and most important SHE likes it. Maybe I can get her in the boat more now. Now I can start on mine.

Thanks for all the help!!

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster