I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap question
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:23AM

I'm building my first spiral wrap and it will be for me personnal use. The question is, does it matter if the guides turn clockwise or counterclockwise. This is a casting rod and I cast lefthanded. Looking down the rod from butt to tip it seems natural for the guides to sprial in a counterclockwise direction. Any thoughts?

Steve

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:51AM

It doesn't much matter, although most spiral to the same side as the reel handle. This way, the rod isn't teetering around when you lay it on a boat deck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:52AM

I put them on the same side as the reel handle, that way the reel handle sets the spiral guides off the boat deck.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:52AM

I put the Transition guides on the same side as the reel handle, if you lay it down the handle protects the guides

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:53AM

Hello Steve

Most people spiral to the same side as the reel handle to help protect the guides as they spiral around the rod but it really does not matter.

Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:06AM

Which had do you use to "pull line or strip" when flipping - you do not want the line dragging across the top of the blank while stripping slack for lure fall -laying on the deck and fishing are two different priorities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 10:59AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: John Yard (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:07AM

-

John Yard
Sea Girt, NJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 10:08AM by John Yard.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:08AM

Wow! 4 identical posts at the same time.
Breaking the trend I spiral to the opposite side of the reel handle based on the premise that if there is any torque on the rod in the direction of the spiral it will be offset by the leverage on the handle.
I haven't noticed any torque though, so it probably doesn't matter. Mine is for river fishing so I never lay the rod on a flat surface anyways.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:12AM

Put the guides on and try fishing in the yard Then move them See which way you like it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:21AM

Thanks for all the very quick responses, glad to see there's no shortage of opinions here.

Steve

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 12:55PM

Hi,

I am in Rick's corner. Spiral to the side opposite the reel handle.

I realize that fresh water bass angler's rods end up in the bottom of their boats. You know guys there is a product sold that is called a rod holder. Is there a valid reson why you guys avaoid rod holders. Obviously I am a salt water fishermen and a party boat fisherman. Rod holders are a must.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 01:19PM

Bill Stevens is right on, as usual.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 01:51PM

Capt Neil Faulkner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I am in Rick's corner. Spiral to the side
> opposite the reel handle.
>
> I realize that fresh water bass angler's rods end
> up in the bottom of their boats. You know guys
> there is a product sold that is called a rod
> holder. Is there a valid reson why you guys
> avaoid rod holders. Obviously I am a salt water
> fishermen and a party boat fisherman. Rod holders
> are a must.

Kind of my thoughts as well. I put 3 rod holders on the back of a Yeti that rides on the front casting deck.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 02:29PM

I spiral mine to the opposite side from the reel handle. I build primarily offshore rods that are fished with conventional reels. Your line leveling device is the thumb on the hand holding the rod. So I spiral towards that hand to make line leveling easier.

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 05:08PM

I spiral clockwise for the line laying ease reason as well. It is much easier for me to push the line to the right with my left thumb than pull it to the left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster