I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can i use Metallic thread for guide wraps?
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 07:44PM

I am building a boat rod for Halibut and am wodering if i can use Metallic thread for the guide wraps? Its going to be used for an 80lb rod. I would be using size D prowrap thread. Any thoughts?

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can i use Metallic thread for guide wraps?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:52AM

Some metallics are suitable for guide wrapping, others aren't. Check with your thread manufacturer and ask them if their metallic is one of those that was intended for guide wrapping.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:33AM

Need more info

[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 11:33AM

Kevin,
You can use any thread that you want for any type wraps that you want to use the thread for.
But, you may not be happy with the final results.

For folks building heavy action rods, a very common technique is to wrap the rod using a conventional rod, and then adding a metallic overwrap. This technique can work well for many folks who like the convenience and strength of working with a nylon thread, but want the flash of the metallic on the outside wraps.

Every rod is different, every builder is different, and every client is different. Custom rod building means making a rod that meets the requirements of the client.

So, build the rod, which has an appearance and function, that meets the written requirements of the client.

Good luck
Roger

p.s.
When trying something different, or trying something that is not the normal way of doing things, it is always a good idea to do some testing first.
So, if you have a question like this, take a few old guides and do some test wrapping on an old or broken blank. Wrap the guides, pack the guides, and finish the guides. Then, after curing, do some strength and break testing. Finally, you can make your OWN choice to see if this particular technique is something that you wan to use on a particular rod. Advice is fine. But in the end, it is you; the builder that has to come up with your own conclusions with respect to suitability for your particular need.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 09:21AM

I e mailed the folks at Pac Bay this very question a while back. Their response was to give me a chart on the tensile strength of their various threads.....in short they said "Here is the info....make your own decision." They were not about to say "yes" then if it failed have me coming back to them with a complaint.

After I thought about it I realized that was the absolute right thing for them to do. I was building a small spinning rod for my nephew....I decided I was good......I also decided that on my 20-30 lb boat rods I didn't want to be worried about it, so I wrap them with nylon.

If you are that worried about it on an 80 lb halibut rod I think you probably know the answer. I would be doing what Roger suggests. Good Luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster