I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PIck up Micros with Magnet?
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:00PM

So, I dropped a couple micro guides into the Frize` carpet tonight. Can't find them for the life of me. They're Kigan guides - TiChrome with blue rings. Will they pick up with a magnet?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PIck up Micros with Magnet?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:18PM

Come on. Go grab a magnet off your fridge and find out for yourself

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:27PM

With a VERY strong magnet that makes direct contact to the guide, you may have some success (mainly with micros because of the light weight), but unfortunately it probably isn't going to work. The magnetic signature of the alloy used is very slight.

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 09:28PM by Hydra Fishing, LLC.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 02:13AM

Alex is right, I use a strong 12`` wide magnet with a telscoping handle and it picks them up good. I would not use micros with out a magnate.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 09:23AM

I know this has been said and done many of times.....walk bare footed around the area, I'm sure you'll find it that way.

Re: Pick up Micros with Magnet?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 02:20PM

Aaron,
If you work with any rod guides and if you have carpet in the area where you work, do yourself a favor.
Go to your local Home depot and pick up a piece of tempered hardboard, or glossy white particle board.

Drop it on the floor for you and your chair.
The 4X8 area under yourself generally is large enough to hold items that get dropped. Much much easier to spot dropped items on a solid white floor than a piece of carpet.

The cost of tempered hardboard or white particle board is very low.

Also, your chair will roll much easier on the board, than on a piece of carpet.

Roger

Re: Pick up Micros with Magnet?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 02:50PM

maybe even Plexiglass

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 03:54PM

If you can easily pick up guides with a magnet you had better thoroughly wash your completed rod - and thoroughly dry it too - immediately after each use.

Date: March 26, 2012 04:05PM

Some good ideas. Some silly ideas. And I don't get the washing idea.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2012 04:23PM

The higher the iron content of the metal, the greater the pull the magnet will have on it, but this also means it'll be more prone to rust. Thus, good rinsing after each use in Saltwater or else.

Date: March 26, 2012 04:50PM

Oh, I see. That's something us Minnesota guys don't even think about up here. We more have to worry about our guides icing up.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.130.---)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:44PM

Before using the micros get some very small brightly colored cable ties and stick the end of a tie into the eye of the guide, then cut it off to about 1/2 inch. You will easily see them when they fall. And they will fall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster