I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many coats of lite finish over tiger base wrap
Posted by: Soc Demos (---.wdcz2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 23, 2012 10:08AM

Hi Everyone,
I am attempting my first tiger wrap following the article in rodmaker magazine & the online tutorials by Doc Ski.
I have an opened bottle of threadmaster lite that I wish to use. How many coats of this finish wold be sufficient
over the base wrap, allowing the 3D effect to occur?
Thanking You,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many coats of lite finish over tiger base wrap
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.122.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 10:17AM

Ive never used any lite finishes, i just use the hi build, 3 fairly thick coats is plenty to give you the 3D effect.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 10:28AM

I've use 3 coats, 2 would work, but at least 3 is better.

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:40AM

I use regular finish too, but I usually go with a quick, heated coat the first time to soak in and then go with a thick second. I have used Pro Kote a couple of time and it seems thinner than regular TM or FC and I had to use 3 coats after not liking the results with 2.

Date: March 25, 2012 09:37AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up using 4 coats of threadmaster lite. I applied the last 2 coats thicker than the previous. I wraped the top layer this morning & removed the sacrificial threads. Wow! It worked & looks great so far. The 3D effect is there. I'll put a coat of CP on tomorrow (used nylon thread on top) & hope to finish it by the end of the week. I'll post pics when it's completed. I used black, metallic silver & prowrap 'blurple' in 'A' for the base wrap. Top wrap was blurple again with 2 sacrificials in 'A'.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.66.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:20PM

Well done, look forward to seeing it. You might want to refer to a reply post i sent 20/3 " Bubbles and sags in cp " to avoid getting micro bubbles in the thread channels of a tiger wrap when you apply cp.

Date: March 26, 2012 09:06AM

Thanks Steve.
I read your message re avoiding micro bubbles & sags when applying cp & epoxy finish to a tiger wrap. I used Chromaseal (had opened bottle at home) with the instructions you outlined & it worked well. I saturated the wrap, careful not to disturb or move the thread, then wicked away the excess. I did get a few micro bubbles near the trim, but hit them lightly with my girlfriends hair dryer on the low/cool setting which took care of them. The nylon darkened a little (as did the guide wraps which I finished several days ago), but it still looks good. I look forward to finishing the rod, & have been nothing but impressed with the 'tiger wrap' technique overall.

Best regards,
Soc

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.142.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 01:52PM

Glad it helped Soc. I love chromaseal, almost always use it on my weaves and especially if i use madeira thread. I like to use thinned flexcoat cp rather than a full strength coat on a top layer of a tiger because i find it quicker to saturate and wick off excess and completely eliminating micro bubbles. There's no worry about not retaining the colour of the thread with thinned cp, because basicly you're only coating a single thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster