I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

i dont understand this rod design, can someone explain
Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 23, 2012 06:58AM

Ive been building rods for quite some time but ive hit a dead end with this....heres what i don't understand..
37kg Rollered game rod with bent butt......DESIGNED FOR STAND UP FISHING.!!!
How the &*#*^ can you lift the tip up on a fish without laying flat on your back.?? I dont get it.....the only way that I can see this being "workable" is by putting the gimbal down around your ankles and pulling the bent butt between your legs to get some lift..!! otherwise you will be pointing the tip at the fish most of the time and the rod wont be working at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i dont understand this rod design, can someone explain
Posted by: kevin knox (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 07:26AM

You don't want the tip up. Tip up = high sticking which will have less than optimal results. The purpose of the bent butt it to either be fished from a chair, or from a fighting belt. Bending the knees and rearing back will give more than enough pull for lifting a fish.

Go to youtube and do a search and you will see thousands of video's on the subject.

Kevin

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: March 23, 2012 07:41AM

Hi Kevin,
The tip to me would be to low but there is middle ground. ( never mentioned anything about high sticking..)

thanks for the reply.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:14AM

Owen you are not also figuring in the distence from the water to the boats rail. Perhaps they want a bent gimbal to make up for a high deck. I know some boats used to fish for salmon sharks in alaska are real high so they can get thru some narly surf and currents. They use a bent gimbal to make up some of the difference. And yes they do use a belt ofcourse.

Date: March 23, 2012 08:22AM

Hi Bill,
....maybe i should be more accurate at describing its sole purpose... Marlin .high and wide....... not tuna

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:56AM

A short bent butt with a good harness allows an angler to fish drag settings formerly reserved for those in a chair.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 23, 2012 09:05AM

totally agree Russell.
my initial question was off the mark of what i was asking and for that i do apologize. in plain would you build a bent butt standup rod specifically for Marlin.?

thanks again.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 12:11PM

Would I? Probably not because we don't have any big blue marlin to speak of. A 100 pound white doesn't need tackle that heavy and wearing a harness all the time is a pain to me.

Now if I lived someplace that had blue marlin....and big tuna.....and I wanted to catch them standing rather than in a chair. Heck ya I'd consider a short bent butt rod. But, and this is a bigggg butt, you need to find a top notch tackle store that has a good selection....get fitted properly....and see what style works best for you. Then you have to ask if you are brave enough to stand up and fish enough drag that a small slip in technique could have you over the side in a second....LOL! One thing to have a leash on the rod....quite another to need one for yourself.

I get the feeling the guys in New Zealand catch blues rather often. I have never had the pleasure. I'm jealous:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:16AM

He not using an electric reel for deepwater fish is he? just stand there and hit the button. I'm totally serious about this, there have been a few episodes of "Hooked" where Dave Buttfield has dragged up kingies and various reef fish using an electric real, seems to work well enough. Wide of Sydney some people use a bent butt game rod and leave it in the holder,a lot of talk of electrics being banned however as usual the horse has bolted by the time the Government wakes up there is a problem.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 05:06PM

Owen, for marlin or tuna, I would build them all day long, and I do. The angle is more suited for the rod and the angler by being at that angle vs a straight butt.

Kevin

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster