I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX 9'7" 7wt. Tip Breakage
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 09:55PM

Was out giving my MHX 9'7" 7wt for its inagural bass try this weekend. The tip broke on a hard hit by a bass. first time I have ever broken a rod fishing in 30 plus years. What was odd was the tip broke about 2 1/2 inchs from the tip top and then an inch past that. The first snake (acutally SF recoil) was at 5 inches per rocomendation at Mudhole. Any thoughts on what might have caused it? The rod was not hit by a hook while casting nor has it been abused in anyway to my knowlege. I've test casted it a few times and a friend of my test casted it as well, but I was standing there.

Anyone know of any known issues with this blank? Or, is this some kind of fluke?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX 9'7" 7wt. Tip Breakage
Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 11:32PM

Never heard of a 9'7" blank from Mudhole.
Is this the new 10' 7wt fly blank? If so I haven't seen these blanks yet.

Date: March 18, 2012 11:50PM

Looks like it is the 9'6" not a 9'7", so that is an error. The model is:

F967-4-MHX

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 01:28AM

I ordered a MHX 9' 5wt 4 piece; when it got to my place it looked fine, but I did a test flex on all the sections before I built, and the tip was already broken, however, the mudhole guys were quick about getting me a new tip section with only a few emails. They should take care of you pretty quickly.

Did you contact them at all?

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 19, 2012 08:18AM

Ed,
have you called Todd or Bob at Mudhole?
My experience: if there is a problem they fix it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 08:50AM

Did you Static Test the guide set up before wrapping ??

If they say the first guide from the tip is 5" Seems a lot to me

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2012 10:23AM

It's doubtful that it's a design issue. Most likely some type of impact damage to that area on the tip prior to the actual failure.

Posted by: Ed Casteel (74.231.181.---)
Date: March 19, 2012 10:47AM

I'm calling them today. I'm hoping its some sort of impact damage. What was odd was that it greenstick fractured about 2 1/2 inches from the tip top then broke 1" below the first. So, actually broke in two places.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 11:04AM

The break I had looked like it was crushed, and it started to delaminate in a spiral...you could only see it when flexed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 04:19PM

Ed,
Before starting your build, did you give the blank a 90 degree flex test?

i.e. starting from the tip, flex each section to 90 degrees or an amount that is similar to that - based on the position of the blank.

I am guessing that you had a damaged blank that had been shipped that way and went undiscovered during the build process.

Better to test, and break a blank before spending any time and money on the rod; rather than breaking the rod on its first outing.

Roger

Posted by: Kristopher Byers (---.natnow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2012 06:19PM

I just have to say I had a similar tip section breakage on an st1144f blank I just built on it's first trip out. I emailed MHX warranty and Todd Vivian had the problem resolved within an hour. Even though it was against policy to warranty a blank without receiving the broken sections he went ahead and got one sent out to me. I am very happy with their service and will continue to fish MHX blanks. Just make sure to register your blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 06:28PM

A spacing chart is always a starting point and should be Static Tested to find the final point of where the guides go

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 19, 2012 07:17PM

Called Mudhole and the process seems pretty straight forward. They were very helpful.

Roger, I did not do as you suggested but I think I'm going to introduce that into build process on a go forward. I'm on about my eighth rod to build so I'm still learning some of the finer points...thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 08:28PM

Ed,
Due to a similar problem when I first starting building rods, I instituted the super deep flex of all blanks before every putting a wrap on the rod.

Obviously the bend is not as great as an equivalent high stick, but it needs to get all parts of the blank to the maximum recommended bend for that blank.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster