I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji No1
Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: March 18, 2012 06:03AM

In your opinion are Fuji guides the best? Its all I use, having looked at other guide manufacturer's, there doesn't seem to be the detail and quality to match them. Now Shimano's Sea-Guides are another story.. I see posts and there are plenty of people saying all guides these days are similar in quality but I don't think any come close to Fuji IMHO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji No1
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2012 07:53AM

Have you tried the Kigan guides?

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 09:48AM

What is it specifically that you find about Fuji's quality that you don't find in other guides? I find the high end guides from Alps/Batson, and Amtak equal to Fuji guides in both design and mfg. quality. Fuji has a great quality perception but I've had them break and rings come out on occasion just like the others.

Terry

Posted by: Aaron Ramos (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 10:43AM

If I'm selling a rod, I'll usually offer Fuji since it's what people know.

On my personal rods, I use whatever manufacturer makes a guide I like for a specific application.

Each manufacturer has their good and bad guides.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 11:16AM

I primarily use Fuji products - 75% of my guide purchases and 95% of my reel seat purchases. However, there are some truly special products not to be overlooked ... Microwave guides, RECoil guides, Kigan "Z" guides and Pac Bay Channel Lock reel seats. All of these are found in my stock as well. Like Aaron, it is application, or client, specific as to the proper choice of product.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 11:27AM

Agreed. If a customer requests it, I'll certainly use them and they are great products. There is a perception that if you are using fuji guides and seats that you are not compromising quality as a builder. If a customer is not drawn to Fuji or doesn't care, I may or may not recommend them depending on the application. I was just trying to learn if Rod saw something specific or if it was more of the general Fuji Brand and a quality reputation. I worked at a large company with a great brand reputation that always wasn't deserved so I understand the marketing behind promoting this. Fuji does as good a job as any of the brands in this regard.

Terry

Date: March 18, 2012 12:45PM

Only wanting to know how many builders use them in general. I read Dale Clemens books many years ago and was sold on Fuji from then on. They seem to have great detail in the manufacturing. I have some Alps XN's that I am about to use on a build and side by side to HB's they appear to be a much lighter material even though the HB's are rated only 30#. Having said that since those books were written there have been a few more company's producing guides. I only build saltwater rods I must admit so haven't had exposure to other brands.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 18, 2012 05:05PM

I mostly use American Tackle. I find little, if any, difference in quality between any of the manufacturers. As competitive as this industry,a bad product wouldn't survive. I'm also curious just what differences you see.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 18, 2012 05:36PM

Yes I agree they are all good quality, I can't comment on AMTAK as i've not used them but from comments I've read they get a good rap. The general question I was asking how any builders use Fuji compared to other brands. Living in NZ we are at a disadvantage when it comes to choice. There are rod companies here that use ALPS (SYNIT for one although the blanks are produced by Kilwell Tubes, and a few others such as JigStar Rods) these companies import ALPS directly so are not available to rod builders. Fuji is the only one readily available, so you tend to have a bias towards them.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 18, 2012 07:01PM

G'Day Rod we have much the same problem here in OZ although we can source Alps guides locally along with Fuji, but don't forget the suppliers on the left .I now use them almost exclusively & the time between placing the order & receipt is much the same as if I ordered them locally . True the freight charges can be a bit steep but to my mind the savings more than compensate for that

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2012 08:08PM

I have been using Kigan's for a little over a year with zero failures. Six of the rods I have built are being used in B.A.S.S. tournament fishing with no failures at all.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2012 08:17PM

Most Fuji products are great, but at this point I avoid Fuji trip tops like the plague. I have had way too many rings pop out of Fuji tips, Kigans are way superior for ring retention.

Posted by: Robert Sampson (---.static.hostnoc.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 08:39PM

ATC guides seem fine to me. No idea if they are the best or not, nor Fuji. But the better guides from each company all seem fine to me.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2012 10:06PM

I'm a proponent of the American Tackle Ring Lock guides. For spinning, the durability, strength, and quality of the A-Frame guides are hard to beat. Nothing against Fuji or other manufactures.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 10:17PM by Fred Trahan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster