I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best blank for King Mackerel & Cobia w/6500 spinning off Gulf Shores Pier
Posted by: Robbie Robbins (12.168.74.---)
Date: March 16, 2012 04:44PM

Can anyone suggest what might the best blank to use for King Mackerel and/or Cobia. I'll mostly be using it from the Gulf Shores, AL. pier. I'll probably use it off the beach also. I have a 6500 size spinning reel which holds 320yrds of 20lb mono. I'm not looking for the most high tech rod, but I am looking for a good fiberglass or composite type rod at a good price. I'll only use it for 5 or 6 days a year (hopefully more). J&M tackle has some King rods for the pier made up that have some large metal guides. I've noticed that a lot of pier regulars use the same type of rods too. Any help would be appreciated.

Robbie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best blank for King Mackerel & Cobia w/6500 spinning off Gulf Shores Pier
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 07:05PM

are you using a set rod then sliding your bait down the line? if so take a look at the seeker clb 704 or another live bait blank as there are many good ones. it is a great live bait rod for kings.

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2012 09:54AM

Robbie,

Going to need a little more info on how you are going to target these fish. Most King Mackerel and Cobia fishing is done with a "Pin Rig" consisting of a 12' surf rod used as an anchor rod and a conventional 6'6" to 7' fighting rod. I have seen a You Tube video of people catching Kings off a pier with a single spinning rod, but do not how they were doing it-whether throwing large metal lures or live lining live bait?

Keep in mind that a King will strip off 300 yards off a reel on his first run, and can take another 100 off on his second run. For this reason alone, most King/Cobia set ups require a minimum of 500 yard line capacity and are therefore conventional type reels.

Chuck

Posted by: Robbie Robbins (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 10:04AM

Actually I'm not sure which way i'll be fishing for them. Both questions make me realize I need to do more thinking about technique. My issue is that I usually get to the Gulf Coast from Birmingham about 4 to 5 times a year. The people I've seen fishing for Kings off the Gulf Shores Pier are using a rod about 8' and mostly spinning reels. Some still use the old Penn 704's. They typically use Cigar Minnows for bait.

Posted by: Francis Riego (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 12:56PM

I am custom building a King Mackerel & Cobia rod right now. I am using a lamiglass CGBT 781 MH that I ordered from Mud Hole. A friend of mine who King
fish off the pier won the Rebel King tournament 3 years ago using this rod. The rod I am building for my friend is using fuji guides(sic) and will be installed
in a spiral style which he wants.

Posted by: Robbie Robbins (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 03:36PM

Francis, which set of Fuji guides are you using? That sounds like what I had in mind for my rod. Do you have any pictures of a completed rod like this, and what size reel is it for?

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 04:34PM

Robbie, if you are fishing GSP pier you most likely will be snobbling or throwing live ly's. IDo not ignore liight tackle behind the breaking waves, some big fish right there.
The reason its old 704's is because they remove the bailarm and use just a massive roller. When snobbling its much faster that way to allow the fish to take line until you are ready to set hook.
If you plan on doing that, you may want to use those large rings to keep things so that finger + nylon coils do not get wrapped up or it gets painful very fast with kings.
Personally i don't .
If you are down there 4 thru 8 April email me: that is my next trip down. If you want to i will have some of my rods with me and you can try them out.
Some are Seekers, MHX, some castaway, pacbacy. When/if you find one you like i will tell you what it is and where to get components etc so you can build it. Four are wrapped with Micro wave guide trains : all are spinning and run from 7.5 to 9.2 ft.
But J&M and also The Rod Box make rods for that pier that work great.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 04:37PM

Francis is building a casting rod ... see the reference to "spiral style". I would suggest a composite blank. Seeker has a series called "Hercules" that is the cat's meow. Get in touch with Billy @ NERBS (sponsor on left list) and ask about the Inshore Lite 8.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 11:21AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2012 03:23AM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Francis is building a casting rod ... see the
> reference to "spiral style". I would suggest a
> composite blank. Lamiglas has a series called
> "Hercules" that is the cat's meow. Get in touch
> with Billy @ NERBS (sponsor on left list) and ask
> about the Inshore Lite 8.

I think you mean seeker. Not lamiglas.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 11:20AM

Gabe Nakash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think you mean seeker. Not lamiglas.

Correct, post now edited to reflect it ... good catch.

The most important thing is to call Billy - he will get it right. I built one of the new Seeker Hercules for a VERY particular client and he claims it to be "the best rod he has EVER owned". This coming from a full-time guide to the elite ... sports stars, politicians, Hollywood celebs, etc. He not only can afford anything, he purchases at the very top of the food chain. I am very impressed with the design work that went into them. While I wouldn't be silly enough to call them indestructable, I would say that you have REALLY done something IF you manage to break one on a fish. They are tough and then some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 11:22AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Nate Fess (---.wachovia.com)
Date: March 19, 2012 04:14PM

This weekend I had the opportunity to test a Seeker inshore at the NC NERBS get together. It was extremely impressive to say the least. I pulled up on the handle in a fighting position and the owner of the rod, Chuck Payne, pulled down on the tip. I was pretty concerned about the amount of force we were using, but he wasn't at all. I am fairly certain I could have lifted him off the ground by the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster