I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick perma-gloss questions.
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 03:23PM

Never used this stuff before...

A. What kind of solvent works?
B. I'm just touching up the clear coat on a blank where some guides were relocated from. Will it work in just those areas as a touch up and be relatively unnoticeable or should I just do the whole blank?

Thanks again!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick perma-gloss questions.
Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.vianet.ca)
Date: March 16, 2012 05:30PM

Here is my Q&A thread, no specific answers to your questions, but it might help you out. I haven't got around to finishing my rod yet myself.

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2012 06:03PM

It will be smooth on a rod blank, although how well it hides itself from the current blank finish has a lot to do with your application.

Try a spot repair before throwing in the towel and refinishing the entire blank.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 07:26PM

I was hoping for a question like this to come along! Doing a spot repair on a rod can be tricky especially if its in an area with just more than finish on the rod. I have done a few with more than adequate results. Matching things up is the tricky part. Your going to have to have a good finish procedure in place before attempting a repair. It needs to be compatible with whats on the rod already. I have done this successfully on rods with eye replacement using my own application procedure with Permagloss as the final finish. The best tip I can give you here for a repair like this is to make sure that the color on the rod has not been compromised and is still on the area of the repair. If it is intact you have saved your self a complete redo on the whole thing and can replace or move the guide into a different location. Both finish procedures for the guide and the final top coat finish should be successfully if the color is still present.

Simply scuff the area gently and prep surface before you begin you Permagloss finish procedure and apply your finish and allow it to dry hard ( use a small heater to help this along if anything) I usually give this a 24 hour dry time in a room 60 degrees or above. I am going to assume your experienced enough to know your prep procedures for adhesion purposes here. Once your PG is dry you can now finish up your wrap and guide placement (some might lightly scuff with scotch bright just in the area of the guide placement) no further scuffing is needed relay. The PG is still green enough the epoxy will adhere properly. Its the were you ended the PG is the tricky part! You should have masked up to an edge of an existing guide and the epoxy finish of that guide. Your gonna have an edge possibly high or low depending on your coats of PG finish. This will be coverage again with a coat of epoxy finish (be sure to to scuff properly) before applying your epoxy finish on the end areas were you masked from existing guides. This is a quick tell on how I do this with many more prep procedures in place for my application procedure. I am assuming you are experienced enough to follow along here with what I do here. You can get a good idea on how I do a repair with out having to strip the whole rod and keep things original for the customer.

Now if you do a search on PG you may find my procedure write up on how I spray PG with a air-brush, but you should b able to do the same repair with what ever application procedure you have for PG finish. Its just how I do it. I read your post and I thought! I know how you feel when you have a rod that just needs a spot repair and no need to strip it all for a redo and save on cost for the customer. I have done a few Croix's and Loomis rods for customers not wanting to send in for warranty and just get a new top replacement or for what ever reason they didn't want to part with there rod! Imagine that LOL . Customers can be funny about there fishing rods I can tell you that ! I hoe this helps Scott ...good luck!

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 01:43AM

Thanks for the answers! I was actually a little anxious to do this and just brushed a very thin coat on where the old guides had been. It worked out as well as I could have expected. Most are nearly invisible and with the couple that aren't I will try a second coat and call it good. I'm just glad I can turn them back into functional rods and still have them look good.

I don't think it was an ideal solvent but alcohol did clean the brush fairly well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 08:21AM

i use mid temp lacquer thinner buy the pint i get at home depot for cleaning my brushes in a small mayonase jar

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster