I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building stuff may need a new home
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:19PM

My dad recently had a minor stroke (he's doing fine!). However, it did leave him with a vision problem which I'm sad to say will prevent him from building rods now.

All of his rod building stuff which includes Clemens books, DVD's, rod lathe (power wrapper), hand wrapper, TONS of thread, etc. etc. Just about everything needed to build rods (to much to list) is now in my
hands. Well, sort of as the stuff is still at Dad's in Rupert, Idaho and I'm in Sacramento, CA.

Dad & I talked about selling everything but what I may like to do is pass all or most of his rod building equipment and materials on to someone just beginning the craft who otherwise would
not be able to acquire the things they really need (for quite awhile anyway) and is being held back for lack of it.

Anyway, I haven't made up my mind just yet on what, if anything, I'm going to hold on to. We've had many many great hours together working at his power wrapper so I might keep that and
a thread head like me can never have enough thread! Still, I really don't have room to set-up another rod lathe or storage room for much more than what I have already. In this poor economy,
filling the wallet a bit with a sale sure would help too but......I'm sure many of you know where I'm coming from.

This would be an easy decision if Dad or I had someone under our wing so to speak but we don't.

Do you? If so, let me know something about them and maybe something can be worked out for them

What would you do In my place?.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building stuff may need a new home
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.114.186.31.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:52PM

Hi, Raymond. sent a message to you at the library. Very sorry to hear about your dad. i can understand that because my dad had a stroke a bout 10 years ago too, fortunatly it was only a slight one. If i was in your place id hang on to all the personal things that will remind you in years to come of the fond memories. but as for the work your dad has created in all the years he's been rod building like weave patterns or crosswraps and anything else of interest i'd share them like you said with new people just starting out, that would be a wonderful way of keeping all your dads work alive for years to come by others. Right, im off to bed its coming up to 1 IN the morning this part of the world, so im goona log off and turn in.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:22PM

Hi Raymond,
Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he makes a decent recovery and can at least still go fishing.. My dad wasn't a rodbuilder but at least he showed me how to start and finish a wrap as he used to replace his own guides and that got me started in rodbuilding. I've still got his one and only spool of thread as a reminder so make sure you keep some stuff. Looks like some great stuff for a beginner so I hope you can find someone that will appreciate it.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 15, 2012 09:42PM

Thanks Guys,

Dad is recovering quite well and I found out a little while ago his vision is even better than expected. He still has to stay away from most power saws and it this point he still can't do any thread work but he CAN do a lot of the shop work he originally thought was out of the question.

With most rod builders being 50 or older we really need to not take things for granted. Spring chickens we are not.

Col,
In my case, I taught dad the craft and MAN what a time we've had with it together. He's the leather guru though so were not done yet!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 15, 2012 11:55PM

Hi Raymond,
I'm glad you and your dad have had a great time rodbuilding and hope you can still learn from each other. My dad and I had some memorable times fishing together, he was pretty good and I learnt heaps from him.
Your very correct about the spring chicken business, I just take each day as it comes and be thankfull for every one I get.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Neil Sanft (---.radianmi.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 09:32AM

Hey Raymond -

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I sent you an email this morning - please take a look when you have a moment.

Thanks
Neil

Date: March 16, 2012 09:49AM

Got your email and several others Neil,

Off to work now but will get back to everyone soon.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 16, 2012 01:08PM

Raymond sorry to hear. Do what you can to keep him busy and feeling useful. Nothing worse for a man than to feel he is a burden.

Unless it bothers him to have the stuff around I wouldn't be in a big hurry. It seems he is already making strides and able to do more than he first thought. He may pick it up again in time.

I'm a lot like you. I don't have much but I'm a giving soul. The few times I have tried to do what you are proposing it didn't work out so well. Seems those that really need are too humble and embrassed to step forward. The ones that get rich on @#$%& are who take advantage.

If you decide to sell drop me an email. My daughter has moved in and there is no room for my rod building stuff. It has all been banished from the house. I could use a small hand wrapped that could be set up in a bedroom.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Neil Sanft (---.radianmi.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 01:10PM

No problem Raymond. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that I sent you an email. Overall, hope your father is doing well and wish he was able to still use the equipment.

Regards,
Neil

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 02:41PM

Both you and he are in my prayers ......... here's to a speedy recovery ......... and rodbuilding might help to rebuild if he loves it as much as you ....... good luck

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2012 07:22PM

Sory to hear about your dad, hope he's doing better. If you decide you need to let loose of his rod building equipment I'd recommend you look for someone that teaches rod building to kids and make a donation. It could possibly qualify as a tax writeoff and even if it doesn't your dad will be contributing to a legacy that will outlive both of you.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2012 10:58PM

My father also taught me how to build rods as a boy. I remember how excited he got when the new Fuji "speed guides" came out. We used to buy glass blanks from a store called Gibson's in Texas, put on reel seats, grips and guides and sell them. I had a lot of fun learning how to perform basic builds and owe my father a lot for showing me those things early in life. I still have some of his equipment from 35 years ago.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 21, 2012 04:13PM

Thanks for all of the reply folks,

Although Larry doesn't post he reads here often and was touched by all of the kind words both here and the emails I've received.

I'm still milling things over and no decisions have been made. I've already gotten back to a few of the emails and will try and get back to the others soon.
I'm sorry I haven't got back to everyone yet.

Raymond Adams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster