I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Will 5 mm rings allow a double uni-knot to pass freely?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 12:56PM

I am in the process of acquiring components for a new baitcasting rod (primarily for smallmouth bass). In the past, I have always used 6 mm rings for my running guides. My baitcasting reels are spooled with 30/8 Power Pro, but I almost always use an 8 lb copolymer leader attached with a double uni-knot. While I am perfectly happy with the #6's, I am succumbing to all the buzz regarding micro guides. Will that knot pass freely through a smaller ring, or should I stay with that which has worked so well in the past. Sometimes, I feel as though micros are an answer to a question I haven't asked, or, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Anyone have experience in this gray area?
Thanks.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will 5 mm rings allow a double uni-knot to pass freely?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:30PM

Hunter,

The smaller the ring gets the less casting distance you'll get with knoted lines. BUT, ... there is not much difference in a 5 versus a 6mm. But again, I always STAY with 6mm when leaders will be used.

What you could do to reduce weight is go to something like a minima guide, these have bigger openings and you can get by with going a lot smaller. Another option would be to go to recoil style guides. PacBay makes one but I cant recall the name at presant.

DR

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:33PM

I'm running uni-uni knots through 3.5mm Fuji SiC's and 4mm Alconites. My braid is lighter than yours though. I'm using 10/2 Power Pro connected to 6# and 8# floro leaders. I run 10' to 15' leaders, so I'm always casting the knot through the guides. You can feel the knot ticking through, but it still casts very well.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:53PM

I can run 20# braid uni-uni to 20# furocarbon leaders all day long

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 03:17PM

5mm rings will pass you’re knot no problems at all. You may want to consider an Albright knot, it tightens down much smaller than the uni-uni. I was having a problem getting Albright knots to hold with Berkley Nanofil line, it is so thin and slick the knots pulled loose or cut the fluorocarbon. I solved it by doubling up the braid, it still ends up being way smaller than a uni-uni knot and holds great.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 03:20PM

Another thing you can try is not doing so many twists on the uni. I find a 3x3 works just fine for most bass fishing. If I fish saltwater I'll add more passes on each side.

I also like to wet the knot after and run my fingers over it to smooth it out. Both of these help a lot.

All my personal rods run 6mm. No issues after making these adjustsments. 20# Slik to 8-10-15# flouro.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 04:06PM

maybe this knot will help
[www.youtube.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:30PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> maybe this knot will help
> [www.youtube.com]
> =player_embedded

This knot is awesome in this application. I use size 3 guides, and this know passes through just fine with 30lb PowerPro and 12-15lb flouro.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:41PM

Thanks, everyone. I had resisted using an Albright as I can tie a uni-to-uni knot practically in my sleep. The Albright isn't more difficult, but I didn't want to bother learning a new routine. Now, I guess, I'll learn a new routine. As the guys at Possum Lodge say, "I'm a man. I can change, if I have to, I guess!" Again, thanks to all.
Slainte,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Date: March 15, 2012 06:00PM

I don't want to learn certain things -- only unless I get paid

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 06:13PM

I use a nail knot splice. It is a very small knot and easy to do.

Date: March 15, 2012 06:15PM

Try a Google Search on Fishing Knots

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:00PM

Okay since nobody mentioned it....and keep in mind I hardly bother.....but there is a lot to be said for something like a little pliobond on a knot. It is the little tag ends that stick out that cause a problem. Make the knot look like a little minature goodyear blimp and it will be so much smoother to cast.

Uni knot is okay. You have to remember most of the guys here are so old we never heard of a uni knot until recently but grew up with albrights, blood knots, and nail knots. More power to you if you can tie a san diego knot in the pitch dark.

Oh, and BTW in you want admission into the micro club you have to go 3.5mm and smaller. I was all proud and thinking I got there with 4mm blag's but no dice.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.130.---)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:55PM

Before I built, I would test with taped on guides. I've seen this subject probably a dozen times with hundreds of opinions. I have mine, and it agrees with only a few of those above. Also, what I consider acceptable, someone else may not, so it is important to test. How hard is the clicking as the knot passes? Is the knot being damaged by passing through the guides? How long is the leader going to be (my experience is that the length of the leader affects how well it goes through the guides-not sure why, but it has with me). With the thousands of combinations and techniques possible, thousands of interpretations of observations, test before invest.

One fact that is beyond debate is the size of the Albright vs the uni. Since the uni has five "layers" of the big line, the mono, and only two of it in the Albright, the Albright is much more compact. It also goes through the guides on the way out with the tag end of the mono trailing, although the influence of this will be yet another opinion.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:49PM

Well, just to let those that responded know, I decided to try and master the Albright knot, and I decided to go with 5 mm rings (Alps). I am reasonably certain that casting won't be a problem even if I continue to use the uni-to-uni knot. I did watch the video linked above, and found it very useful (thank you, Bill), but I also pulled out my old copy of Mark Sosin's and Lefty Kreh's Practical Fishing Knots. While modern braided line (Spectra/Dyneema) wasn't in common use when they wrote it, the "lock" they use with the tag end of the smaller line makes a great deal of sense. Again, thanks to everyone for the advice and help. I am again reminded what a wonderful resource rodbuilding.org really is.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster