I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
High frame micro guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 11:49PM

I happened to glance at one of the new tackle magazines and noticed that a commercial rod was being sold with high frame micro guides.
i.e. micros that are 1-1 1/2 inches up off of the blank.

This is advertised to be able to run fewer guides and still keep the line off the blank.

Do any of the suppliers have such guides?

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High frame micro guides
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 12:20AM

Roger,

Take a look at Pac Bay. I have match frame guides with aluminum oxide rings down to 4mm or 5mm in my spinning guide supply. I picked them up from Utmost when they had some match guides on closeout. They were either Pac Bay or Batson, I believe.

Joe

Date: March 15, 2012 12:22AM

Joe,
Yes, I understand that. I have some of those guides myself.

However, I was wondering if any one has seen the new looking micros on a tall foot for both spinning and casting rods?

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:10AM

these

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Greenberg (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:34AM

merrick tackle's got it.fuji bmnzag series call us 1800-628-8904.www.merricktackle.com.thank you

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:47AM

Roger -

Do you have intentions of using tall guides used on spinning rods on casting rods in order to keep the line off the blank?

What size ring do you include in your definition of micro guide?

These proto types have been tested on both [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:53AM

Using higher framed guides on casting rods (guides on top) will exacerbate the tendency of the rod to try and twist when under load.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:53AM

I guess I am missing the point of using "micro" guides. I thought the point was to put the rod on a diet & lose weight. Taller frames just weigh more?? With three legs? And more torque on a casting rod as Tom says. No need on a spinning rod. Where would you use them?

Date: March 15, 2012 11:08AM

Bill,
I wanted to do some some comparative testing.
I wanted to compare the performance of identical blanks - being built with micros - both casting and spinning and then to compare the performance of the same identical blank built with high frame micro guides.

Of course I am familiar with the theory of micros as well as blank twist. But I wanted to build up 4 rods on the same blank 2 casting and 2 spinning and either verify the theory or disprove the theory.

Theory is fine, but in the hand testing then gives one confidence in the theory.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Roger

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 11:26AM

Roger, to each his own. You must have whole lot of time on your hands.

Date: March 15, 2012 12:43PM

Inquiring minds want to know.
Roger

Date: March 15, 2012 12:48PM

But
how whould they fit on a casting Conventional rod Like said more weight and you will be Fighting the rod from twist even worse then Micros

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 15, 2012 01:04PM

Maybe. But in theory, several fewer guides.

Roger

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:25PM

The idea of high frame guides with a small ring comes from UK match fishing. They use spinning rods (those who don't use poles), very light lines (1-4 lb) and often fish in wet and windy conditions. The high small ring is supposed to inhibit the line from sticking to the blank when wet and reducing casting distance.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 03:12PM

I have seen these guides, Bill had prototypes at the show 2 years ago. The problem I have with them is holding up to rough handling, the first guide on all the casting rods I have is the one that takes the most abuse from things like putting rods in or out of rod lockers, or when you have them piled up in the co-angler rod area. I have had to replace several first guides and the idea of one that sticks up high just waiting to get bent doesn’t seem like a good idea at all, I want the guide as low as possible there.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 04:40PM

Mike this is another of those - "In the beginning (He) created the heavens and the earth". One of the major production companies who was trying to beat others to market with rods using micro guides actually tested the guides in the picture - this was before any micro rods were on the market. They were worried about the slope from reel to butt guide - until the stark reality hit them in the face. You have been in contact with him on other projects - can you imagine the warranty return rate for a bait caster using those things? You should recognize what they are and in what stage of the stamping process they originated.

Roger, those who have first hand experience using micro guides on casting rods do not depend on "theory". Experience is more applicable to this market. Theory is a term which is more applicable to the classroom - Those Who Can Do Do - Those Who Can Not Teach! When you build your first micro rod please post a picture and post performance comparison data you feel will advance the craft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 06:23PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:10PM

You have been told by The Micro master

I do not think there is any thing to Disprove Bill has done the Research

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:03PM

The guide under discussion were not intended for casting rods. The high frame small ring guides were originated for use with closed face spinning reels. Back in the days when the cone of flight was the rage, the match fishermen began using closed faced match reels to negate the effects of wond on the line. So, obviously cone of flight was no issue when the face cover choked the line at the reel face. So, the high frame guide was used to create as straight a path from the reel face to the tip top. The sue of these guides carried on to open faced reels, and I set one up through discussions with Gregg Holloway. The stripper guide has only a size 10 ring placed 32 inches from the center of the reel seat.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:39PM

Roger, go build the 4 and then post photos of each with the results, so that we know they are actual and not just.............theory!!!!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 11:29PM

My theory is just use good 4mm guides on top. I've been to spiral land and 6,5,4 world. Now I just keep it simple. The performance is so good I don't fret about it any more.

I am looking at a picture of an "elevated" single foot micro on an Airrus KW Nano-Fusion on page 18 of the March Outdoor Life. It is supposed to help prevent "line rub".

I am offering a reward to anyone that can prove "line rub" is bad on a bass rod.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster