I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Xi3 5 wt.
Posted by: Brad Karczewski (---.knology.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 08:09AM

Has anybody cast this rod, or own one? I gave it a shake test and have a feeling it is a little beast. I am getting ready to order a blank for some light duty saltwater use and wanted a little feedback. I have an 8 and it's a beast of a rod. I am just a little worried about the fact that it's only 8'9". Why would they do that? Will I lose any of the smoothness or distance? I built a MHX 5 for the same use and it is very smooth and a blast to cast. I just think the Xi3 might have just enough more power to get the job done on some slightly bigger fish, plus I am getting the deal of a lifetime on it. What do you think? Should I bite the bullet? Is it worth it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Xi3 5 wt.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 09:09AM

Sounds like you already have yourself convinced to buy the Sage, the 8 ft 9 in length is pretty popular at Sage and has been around in their earlier offerings for many years.
If your looking for a bit more power than just buy a 6 wt MHX blank and call it your saltwater 5 wt special, wouldn't be the first time it's been done even by the manufacturers. The power numbers used by the blank manufacturers don't really tell the whole story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 09:12AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 10:42AM

From what I recall the Xi series 5wt blanks have ERNs in the mid sixes, comparable to a 6wt MHX. If the MHX is fast enough for casting in the wind then I would say stick with it.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:04AM

Good point, I also have considered getting an MHX 6 and doing this. The thing is I can get the Xi3 for pretty much the same price as the MHX right now on a one time shot so my head is all screwed up :-)

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 11:16AM

An 8'9" fly rod gives you more leverage and I like my 8'9" eight weight that I use for poppers. It's easier on your elbow.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:59AM

Another good point, Greg. I just know that the Predators I have had in the past are miserable to blind cast with. Way too short and stiff. This is also why I don't fish my TCX as much when blind casting in the passes and such. Way too much work. My SP 8 is the rod for me when a lot of casts are needed. I have a blast with the 5 that I built when targeting fish under 30" or so. Maybe I will have to just drive to the nearest dealer that has an xi3 5 in stock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 12:27PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 06:44PM

Brad,
I've cast the rod and you're quite right it has a lot of power for a 5 weight.
Really comes to life after the first 60' is out and still has plenty of backbone to lift the line once cast.
You don't have to spend a lot of time working line out.
Shoot half in the backcast and the remainder in the forward cast.
I was unaware the rod was a little shorter, but that explains the lack of discomfort aerializing that much line.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2012 07:16PM

What constitutes a "5-weight" rod?

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 08:28PM

I think you will find the Xi3, has a little faster recovery than the MHX blanks. A tad more responsive.

Date: March 15, 2012 07:55AM

I'm ordering it today. Can't wait to try it out. Tom, good point! They call it a 5 but I have a feeling it will be getting a 6 or 7 weight line depending on what model line I end up using. I am thinking I am going to try the new Liquid Crystal on the flats which has a long head/taper. Maybe a 7 SA Redfish for some short quick casts with bigger flies for bass. Thanks for all the information. Like I said, I am getting a killer deal so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I would love to test it on some little bones someday!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:01AM

Right, my point is that there is no such thing as a "5-weight" rod per any sort of written or measured standard. It doesn't exist.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 02:34PM

Since it is called a 5-weight in the catalog, on the blank, etc, we just call it a 5 wt so everyone knows what model you're talking about. It would be nice if they all had the ERN rating and AA as well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 04:09PM

that would be to easy

for us

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 15, 2012 05:07PM

Maybe some day, but probably not. It would save a TON of confusion in the fly fishing world. I managed a fly shop for a little while and it gets crazy once fly line weight to rods comes up. It's like drinking and talking religion and politics.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 05:22PM

Yea

Put just numbers on a rod Fisherman/ woman would not be able to figure out Line and lure weight or fly line to use
Confuse them all

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 10:13AM

I put ERN and AA on all my builds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster