I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC
Posted by: scott stevens (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:20PM

I getting ready to start my first spinning rod using the NGC system. I'm going to use #4s as my running guides. Has anyone built a 7' rod using 4s and what is the biggest line I could get away with using?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2012 09:14PM

You'll be better off deciding what line type and size you're going to be using, and then mounting the proper sized guides to work with it.

Posted by: scott stevens (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 09:24PM

Thanks, I should have ordered 8s per the library info. I want to use 10-12 lb line. According to the article 4s wont be optimal.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2012 09:55PM

4's might work fine, depending on the type line. Braid, almost for sure.

The smallest guides that will still easily pass your line and any required connections is what you're after.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 11:02PM

I'd go 6mm max. Some variables there....

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 11:51PM

Scott,

It really depends on whether or not you plan to pass any knots through the guides. If not, 4s should work just fine as runners. After the line is tamed beyond the choke point, the guides only serve to constrain the line path. Test cast with 4s and larger guides to see if there is a difference, especially if it makes you uneasy. If considering 10-12lb. mono or fluoro on the rod, a 6mm tip top may be a consideration. As the line makes the turn from the rod to the lure as it passes through the tip top, the line may push up between the tip top and last guide making contact with the blank. It generally poses more of a consideration when spiral wrapping casting rods, but may matter to you in the case of a spinning rod as well.

The best advice I can offer when learning to work with the NGC system is to buy some reduction guides in all sizes from 20-30mm (for most freshwater or inshore types of builds) down to 6mm in V frames, Y frames, and Match frames. A low end set of each will set you back a few bucks, but will be invaluable in being able to see the differences and compare between the types. Best of all, you have the tools on hand to set up any build and only order the correct sizes of high end guides as needed. Granted, you may not find a need to use the V type frames, it's still nice to be able to compare the heights and weights of the guides.

Joe

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 04:23PM

I have 2 with size 4's. The size 4 will allow a bobber stop to pass through on 10lb or less mono, flouro or braid. It might slightly catch at times but otherwise works ok. I would use 5's or 6's if you are going to use bobber stops.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster