I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with thread finish issues...
Posted by: Brian Bishop (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 05:51PM

For some reason, on the last two builds I have had some issues with my finish. I did switch decals (went to decal connection) and thats when I started having problems. I dont think its the decals per say. After applying my decals, and putting a top coat of thread finish, all looks good. The next day, the finish has dried in a rippling or wavy texture. Only does this over the decal area. What would cause this?

Next, I ended up stripping that area back down and starting over. This time I applied a little color protector over the decals. Worked fine but, I can see the color preserver now...kinda blueish iridescant looking. More so under natural lighting. I didnt realize color protector could be seen like this. Any tips on any of this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with thread finish issues...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2012 06:17PM

The smooth surface of a decal tends to repel epoxy. After applying the decal, you should overcoat it with either color preserver or some sort of clear acrylic spray (matte type).

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:19PM

Not trying to be smart or anything but Decal Connections peel/stick decals have a top layer that has to be peeled off after the decal is burnished on. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has forgotten to do that LOL [decalconnection.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:19PM

I've had good luck using a high build finish and waiting 10 minutes after mixing before applying to a decal.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 01:09AM

I use Decal Connection peel n stick decals all the time along with Threadmaster Lite and regular without any repelling or rippling or waves. Suspect it is something other then the decal.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 09:18AM

There is a Bottom layer to take off then put the decal on

Then there is - the top layer to take off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 09:21AM

I've had issues similar to this in the past on some builds but not all. It has to do with how clean the final label surface is after you apply. I found that most of the ripple areas were around the label edges so it most likely had to do with the application and how I smoothed down the label after I applied it. If you use your finger to smooth the label, it will leave oils around the surface and there may be some glue around the label edge that the finish doesn't like.

As Tom suggested, I solved this with 2 coats of Krylon fixative prior to finishing. Absolutely no issue now so I would suggest this or color preserver.

Terry

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 09:21AM

I've had issues similar to this in the past on some builds but not all. It has to do with how clean the final label surface is after you apply. I found that most of the ripple areas were around the label edges so it most likely had to do with the application and how I smoothed down the label after I applied it. If you use your finger to smooth the label, it will leave oils around the surface and there may be some glue around the label edge that the finish doesn't like.

As Tom suggested, I solved this with 2 coats of Krylon fixative prior to finishing. Absolutely no issue now so I would suggest this or color preserver.

Terry

Date: March 14, 2012 09:46AM

Some thing is going wrong I put them on No CP and have not had any problems yet

Sounds like you maybe getting some thing on the decal befor you finish it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 04:25PM

I beleive they also recommend applying one coat of finish on the blank before applying the decal.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 14, 2012 05:02PM

Always

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster