I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide suggestions for MHX F906-4?
Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (192.193.221.---)
Date: March 13, 2012 09:45AM

Greetings all,

I'm building a MHX F906-4 (9' 6wt 4 pc) for saltwater and I'm looking for some confirmation if I am doing the right thing or to hear some alternate suggestions. One of my design paramters is to keep the rod as light as possible and retain as much of the fast action as possible. Out of the bag, the blank seems really slow and I hope I am wrong. My intentions is to start off with the double footed BLNAG-16 stripper guide then move to a BLNAG-12 then BLNAG-8. On the BLNAG-12 and BLNAG-8, I would grind off the double legged guide foot and convert it to a "low single footed guide". Again, to spare weight. Then, I would use BLAG-8's to the tip. My alternate for running guides are black single footed snake guides. As an aside, I'm using full well cork grips with a Pac Bay Channel Lock reel seat (cause of price), with a Pac Bay fighting butt.

1) Should I switch to BLAG-6's to save weight/action at the risk of not passing knots smoothly?

2) Should I just use the single foot snake guides instead of the BLAG-8's?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide suggestions for MHX F906-4?
Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.207.---)
Date: March 13, 2012 10:41AM

I would go 16 or 12 double foot then switch to a single foot 8 and 6's. If you like you could substitute a 12 for the 8. Most of my 6 wts and 8 wts I use a BSVLG12 for stripper an BLG8 single foot then BLG6's on out. No problem with knots. On my 4 wts I use a BLG4 for running guides without any problems.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 10:53AM

Doing a saltwater 6 (St. Croic SCV) right now. #12 stripper, then black pearl recoils snakes, 4, 3, 3, 2, ,2, 2, 1, 1, 1. May do away with the 3's and go 2's. Not sure I would go with the BLG ringed guides due to weight and corrosion potential in the salt.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 11:00AM

If you are minimizing weight, I agree with Tom to move to SF wire guides running to the tip. 2's or 3's should be fine for sizing and recoil's titanium frames are good in the salt. If he's using a multi-tip line then maybe 4's running to the tip. I don't see much advantage in modifying the stripping guides and you probably only need 2. A 16, then 12 or 8 should be fine. If you wanted to add one more stripper, you can make it a single foot ceramic, then drop to your running guides as Tom suggested.

Terry

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 11:43AM

I agree with what has been said above. If you want to save weight in the stripper guides, I would go with a 12 and an 8 AmTac NIRLC Titanium Ring Lock Casting/Stripper Guide. For the running guides use single foot REC guides 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 and a wire loop tiptop. That is a fairly expensive setup though and you will have to decide if the minimal weight saving is worth it. I personally would go with something like AmTac GSFG TiChrome Single Foot Fly Guides, which are about $2.00 each less than the REC guides. No need to modify the butt guides since weight in the butt section is not critical, particularly if you are using titanium guides.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 02:14PM

No matter what you do, I would use an all titanium guide set up for salt water. I'm also not sold on the ringed guides for fly rods, (especially a light rod like a 6wt),, but the titanium ones will minimize the weight penalty. I do like ringed tops on fly rods over 5 weight. This assumes a 6 weight rod--

Some reccomendations: Fuji TKWAG 12, Fuji TKWAG10, REC #2 double foot snakes x8, Fuji TFAT#7 top. You could substitute a TKWAG 16 for the 12 if you like.

If you want to use the Titanium ringed running guides, the TLSG sz 7 would be my choice.

As fly rods go, a 6 weight is a medium to light rod, so I'd use light components to keep the feel. Stainless ringed running guides are going to dampen it for sure.

Drew

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 04:55PM

I personally would not go with ringed guides on a 6wt, but, if you do, you will definately have to use titanium guides. As far as the MHX 6wt blank goes, the CCS data indicates an ERN of 6.62 and an AA of 70. At those numbers, it is a fast rod and should be able to handle a little weight. Still, to keep the weight to a minimum I would use single foot wire running guides.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:24PM

You say saltwater but don't mention the fish. If thought I was going to see runs well into the backing I wouldn't go too small on my guides. It isn't like a six weight has what it takes to stop saltwater fish in their tracks. So for me, 12 and the rest single foot 3's. Consider 316 stainless if titanium's price scares you.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:31PM

I agree with Russell, 12 on the stripper and wire (3's) from there on out. Except I like double foot stainless. If you get good stainless and rinse no worries about rust.
The best thing about saltwater flyfishing is sooner or later you're going to tie into something big. It's going to take a lot of line out quickly. For me the biggest knot I must pass is not the leader/line or line/backing but the knots in my running line. Worst feeling is when a toothy critter screams the other way and takes the top section of your rod along for the ride!

TJB

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (192.193.171.---)
Date: March 14, 2012 05:06PM

Great! Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will go with wired guides except for the stripper guide. I will need to price out the cost of the REC guides, but I think stainless single foots are a good alternative. I'm building this for my brother and we'll be fishing from beaches/shoreline and I would not be expecting to catch anything really big, although it would be a hoot to see his reaction when he hooks into something big. Most probably will be catching schoolie stiripers and small bluefish. Other times, he can use this 6wt for freshwater where he lives.

Question: what would be the snake guide equivalent to a size 8, or 6 ringed guide?

Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster