I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choosing Guides for a Light Surf Rod
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 05:36PM

I bought a 10'6" Century surf blank at the Expo rated for 3/4 - 3 oz.
The plan is to build it as a spinning rod for plugging.
Having never used micros or K style I'm at a loss for choosing guides for this build.

The blank is quite light so I'd like to keep the weight down on the guides.
Titanium is certainly an option no matter what style i choose.

Micros? K series? Low Riders?
A combination of them?

While it's great having so many options it has me a bit stymied at the moment.

I will greatly appreciate the suggestions of the knowledgable surf guys of the Forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing Guides for a Light Surf Rod
Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 06:52PM

My Century Sling Shot 1327 is built NGC with all Fuji K guides. I built it around an Emblem Pro 6000A. The stripper is 30 mm and the runners are 10 mm. The 10 mms allow the 125 # Tactical Anglers clip to pass through, so, it's not necessary to cut it off the leader when packing the reel. The 30 mm stripper is fine for braid. In test casting the 25 mm worked well too, but I wanted to leave some leeway in case the rod gets a larger spooled reel in the future. It casts well. Now I just have to find some fish.

Date: March 12, 2012 07:02PM

Thanks James.
Ryan White of Hatteras Jack suggested using a reversed low rider for the first guide and then K guides.
I'm just wondering if Micros offer any distinct advantage.

Date: March 12, 2012 07:52PM

Ryan White knows his stuff, especially when it comes to distance casting. In my estimation, you did not get the 3/4 - 3 oz. Sling Shot for distance casting, but for light plugging. It is not written in stone, but my understanding from reading about what some respectable builders who do build lowrider say, is that a lowrider setup performs optimally with fast action rods 11' and longer. Based on their opinions, I'm not thinking about building lowrider just yet because I'm into 9' and 11' plugging rods.

The editor of this site developed a simplified NGC method commonly known as the "27X method". I have been following this method with good results. It works fine for micros, as well.

By the way the 125# clips fit through 10mm alconites. Don't know about the other ring materials.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2012 09:43AM

When you say "micros" what is the actual size you're talking about? It is possible to go too small. The guides must be able to pass your line and any required connections, including shock leader knots, if you use one.

The best bet is to use the proper sized guides. Those will be the smallest and lightest guides that will easily pass your line and any connections, and hold up to the task at hand.

Date: March 13, 2012 12:04PM

Tom,
I saw Billy V's reference to the use of # 6 TLBDSG guides on a surf rod in an earlier post.
I plan to use nothing larger than 30# braid or lighter with no knots passing through the guides.
Steve Gardner told me long ago that even the tiny micros can pass #30 braid.
This will be just for plugs up to 3 ounces.

My basic question is if micros offer any advantage on such a rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2012 12:23PM

I guess I still don't know what sizes are considered "micros."

As long as you line passes easily, the smaller and lighter the better. Provided the guides will also hold up to the intended use.

Date: March 13, 2012 12:33PM

I too have been charmed by the LDBs on surf rods. Right now there are some BLDBAG-6s taped as runners on my 9' back bay rod. BKWAGs are the reduction guides with a 25 mm stripper. After test casting, I know it is going to be a sweet rod. As the lure pulls line through the guides, it has a nice hum to it. I'll wait and see before putting these 6 mms on an ocean surf stick since threading a new leader after a break off can be difficult in harsh conditions.

While attending a NERBs meeting last weekend I saw a conventional boat rod wrapped spiral with the LDBs. Looks cool.

Date: March 13, 2012 03:06PM

Tom,
I call them micro guides because that's how they're listed in catalogs.

I think I'll invest in a set and test it out. The TLDBSG's seem sturdy and I don't see a problem with the K's for reduction guides.
I don't see why it won't work out great.
I'll post results when it's done.

Thanks James for your input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster