I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX High Modulus Fly Blanks
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 10:28PM

Anyone know what the difference is in the orginal MHX blanks and the "high modulus" fly blanks that just came out at Mudhole. Also, the CCS numbers on the mudhole website don't seem to have changed from the original MHX fly blanks.

Anyone have any experience with these blanks yet and what they feel like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX High Modulus Fly Blanks
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 11:28PM

I was told that the fly blanks have always been the "high modulus." I have built a number of rods on these blanks and I and my clients love them. One customer calls them his "rocket caster!"

Posted by: Jon Christensen (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2012 01:08AM

That's what I've been told as well - the fly blanks were always higher modulus - and therefore the CCS numbers haven't changed (no change in the blanks). On a somewhat related note, I measured the ERN/AA for my F662-3 and F904-4 blanks. I measured ERN=1.20, AA = 55 deg for the 2wt and ERN = 4.37, AA = 70 deg for the 4wt. Both compare fairly well with Mudhole's "official" CCS values. The AA on the 2wt is a little lower. For the 4wt, the AA was right on, but the ERN is a little lighter, which works out perfect for me. So far these MHX blanks are everything I've come to expect.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 09:14AM

Fly have always been high modulus.

Posted by: Denis Tessmann (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 12:43AM

Just finished a 906 4pc., very fast action and throws an incredibly tight loop. Was hopping to use a 5wt line I have on hand, but tried it with a 5 and 6, it defiantly prefers the 6. I did the CC thing and it was pretty close to as advertised, a little weaker and a little faster.

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 01:51AM

Thanks...for some reason I thought there was a teaser on the board here a year or so back that MHX would come out with high modulas fly blanks latter...guess my memory is failing me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster