I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinnerbait rod
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:57PM

customer wants a rod for spinnerbaits, says he wants a rod that won't snatch them out of the water when the fish surfaces,
my thoughts are a mh rod with a fast or moderate action, but all i see are fast, this is a quick glance at the mhx blanks, 6'6"
what are your suggestions

Also, with the 27x method should i use high or low profile guides.

customer says he can't seem to ever find a rod that suits him at the local stores.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinnerbait rod
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.18.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:30PM

I've built quite a few spinner bait rods on the MHX SB812 blank, both the white & High Mod series.
My customers have been pretty happy with them and have landed some pretty nice fish with them.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 03:27PM

Jim,

A spinnerbait is a single hook lure. With a single hook, the goal is to drive the hook home and control the fish. As long as there is enough tension on the line pull outs will be minimal, unlike with treble hook lures. He should be looking for a MH fast action rod, i.e. 1/4-3/4oz. or 1/4-1oz. (MB783 or MB784) Mag Bass type blank. I find extra fast action rods like the Batson 823 or 802.75 are good for spinnerbaits weighing in under 3/8oz. total weight, but as a one size fits all, the MB783 would be the choice.

Spinnerbaits are generally better suited to fishing on casting gear, but if you customer wants to use a spinning rod, you need to go with it. For the 27x method, use high frame (either Y type or Match type) reduction guides and single foot fly guides for runners.

If you can get him to show you some of the rods he doesn't like for the task and tell you why, you could dial in the build a little better.

Joe

Posted by: Ben Hutton (173.27.48.---)
Date: March 10, 2012 04:53PM

I use a GLoomis IMX MB843 and a GL2 MB783 for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. Both rods are very versatile; they work great for 3/8-5/8oz spinnerbaits, 3/8-1/2oz buzzbaits and lipless crankbaits. The GL2 seems to have a softer action than the IMX and is perfect for lighter spinnerbaits like the 3/8 oz Terminators (darn things seem to be more like 1/4oz). I am currently building a Castaway HG40 blank into a spinnerbait rod (I believe it is a MB805). For spinnerbaits and buzzbaits I prefer a fast action blank with a tip that provides a slight bit of cushion. I think the fast action helps in controlling the fish and setting the hook. For this reason, the IMX MB843 is perfect for me. I haven't built on the MHX blanks yet but I think that the MB843 or MB783 blanks would work well. However, if your customer doesn't like a fast action rod, one of the spinnerbait specific blanks or maybe even a graphite crankbait blank would work.

Date: March 10, 2012 05:11PM

thanks for your answers, they are all pretty much what i was thinking, the moderate action was my idea but since i don't bass fish, my inexperience is a drawback, i have two blanks in stock that fit the bill,
thanks for your help.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 07:31PM

Please don't go with too soft a blank!
I used to fish Musky and Bass with Bass size Spinnerbaits and had my best success with a Loomis Magbass GL2 HM 3/4-1oz.
I tried using Loomis Crankbait rods and found them too soft to set the hook and get heavy fish started out of the weeds at times.
Garry2R's

Date: March 11, 2012 09:18AM

garry are you talking about soft in relation to lure weight recommendations or medium versus medium heavy

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2012 11:44AM

Jim

Keep the lure weight recomendations where they need be; I am pretty sure Garry means a Crankbait blank tends to be too moderate in action for spinnersbaits. Personally, I do not find a medium power rod much use for LM bass, and only fish heavy rods around dense cover where I will be pulling out fish and weeds at the same time.

To try and explain in another way; I do not change rods when going from a spinnerbait to a crankbait, instead I change the line-I use braid with no streatch on spinners and mono with streatch on crankbaits. Some fisherman change the action of the rod for the two different baits, I change the line out to soften the bite up.

As you can see, many a ways to skin this cat. I think Joe V has some caigey advice-find out what the guy does not like and why?

Date: March 11, 2012 01:13PM

thanks chuck, I mainly live bait striper fish trolling or on the bottom, and my artificial usually has a treble, and the single hook set ups don't seem to need a lot of effort to set the hook. never hurts to get several opinions, most LM bass i catch are accidents.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2012 07:13PM

The crankbait rod in question was a CBR843C rated 1/4 - 5/8 while the GL2 was a MBR784C rated 3/4 - 1Oz.. My spinnerbaits were 3/8 and 1/2 oz, so they were in-between. The crankbait rod flexed well down the blank, as would be expected, while the GL2 had mid rod strength to set the hook and haul fish out of cover.
The basic problem in heavy cover was I had to double-pump to set the hook with the crankbait rod. This caused me to loose some fish.
I urge you to go slightly stiffer for a spinnerbait rod. You aren't worried about pulling small trebles out of their mouth and you will gain hook setting power.
Garry2rs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster