I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Pullers
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 05:47PM

FYI Google bridgeaid for another choice for a threadpuller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Pullers
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 05:50PM

Seriously, why would you make it harder on yourself than it has to be? The hole on that thing is too little, your'e going ot sit there and fiddle around trying to get teh thread through the hole. Use a piece of material that opens up really wide and stays open, cut the thread so it falls right into teh loop without fussing, pull through.

Date: March 09, 2012 05:53PM

I got 2 free sampler packs that'll probably last me a year and they are as easy as pie to work with. to each your own billy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 05:56PM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (24.26.8.---)
Date: March 09, 2012 06:01PM

I use braided line from the end of a spool of 30# ... 10 yards is a year's supply.

Date: March 09, 2012 06:07PM

Steve, how wide does the loop open? Have you tried Jim's method above? I think if oyu did, and you say how much easier it was to put the thread through, you'd never use anything else.

Posted by: Bill Mihm (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 07:42PM

Also use end of 15lb braided line. Works great.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 09:31PM

10# powerpro works fine

Posted by: Chad Huderle (76.164.57.---)
Date: March 09, 2012 11:07PM

Been using the same tied loop of flat dental floss for the past 8 months.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 12:08AM

I use Power Pro also and attach a bead to it. I lose them a lot. They last forever.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:25AM

X2 David on the use of power pro with a bead on the loop. The bead makes the loop easy to find.

Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 10, 2012 01:32AM

Hi Steve,
Another one for the 10lb power pro. Just make sure you wash it well to get rid of the excess colour as it can wreck your light coloured wraps. Isoprophyl gets rid of the excess colour.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 10, 2012 08:28AM

To the guys using the bead - that is "WRONG". You know how when you put the loop in and the bead hangs and sometimes tangles the wrapping thread and/or wraps around the blank? Why deal with that? Just attach a piece of bright yarn - you'll be able to see it just the same, and it won't get in the way when you finish the wrap.

Agree on the use of alcohol on teh braid, most are coated wth a wax or something and that can leave a small film or discolor the thread.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 09:13AM

i'm assuming he is talking about floss threaders designed to pull floss under braces, bridges and such.

On the advice of some in this forum I gave them a try. Nice slick plastic with a large loop. Bright blue color that stands out amid the clutter. A little thick and not the best for real small guides. Nothing like wax or dye to come off on thread work. Well worth a try. Lots of things work fine though.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 10, 2012 10:34AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i'm assuming he is talking about floss threaders
> designed to pull floss under braces, bridges and
> such.
>
> On the advice of some in this forum I gave them a
> try. Nice slick plastic with a large loop.
> Bright blue color that stands out amid the
> clutter. A little thick and not the best for real
> small guides. Nothing like wax or dye to come off
> on thread work. Well worth a try. Lots of things
> work fine though.

Russ - Yes, those are the ones I was talking about. I've been using fishing line (braid, etc) loops with a bead for the past decade - nothing wrong with that either. Got a couple of free sample packs of the floss threaders from the dentist and not being afraid to try something new I found them to be great. I noticed online that you can get a toothpick-like shaker bottle full of e'm for easy storage and dispensing. BTW the dentist had 2 sizes, thick and thin. Anyway, just passing it along FWIW. Steve

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 03:17PM

Good idea with the yarn Billy.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 10:38PM

I use red Styrofoam beads on the end. They don't weigh anything and stay out of the way

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chip Clark (24.224.116.---)
Date: March 11, 2012 09:57AM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use red Styrofoam beads on the end. They don't
> weigh anything and stay out of the way

Another possibility is to use the little pinch-on foam fluorescent strike indicators designed for nymph fishing.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 09:23AM

I was using mono, then switched to power pro, now I use Fins as my thread puller. And yes, I agree with BillyV, using a plastic bead is only a hassle.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:27AM

10lb power pro no beads or anything else, tie up 5 at a time, and if I loose one I dont care!

DR

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 07:43PM

Hmmm, I have always just used the same size thread as I was wrapping with. Never an issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster