I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water based epoxy finish
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 11:01AM

I just put the first coat of the new Threadmaster water based epoxy on a project. As instructed I put a light, "wet the thread" coat on. So far so good. Anyone used this that have any tips or anything to watch out for? The only negative I see is if poured on a surface for use, if you get a bubble it stays! Excellent idea, easy to apply, no mess and easy to clean up. From what I could tell it also has no smell (fumes).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water based epoxy finish
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: March 08, 2012 11:16AM

I am pretty sure there is no such thing as a "water based" or one part epoxy finish. Maybe this is a urethane product?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 11:46AM

[roddancer.com]

Check it out here. You are correct it is not epoxy but most have Been referring to it that way.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2012 12:05PM

I also wondered how it could be epoxy, but I see its not. It will be interesting to see how it works. It would be nice to have a no mixing finish with water cleanup.

Re: Water based finish
Date: March 08, 2012 12:17PM

Ok, I did not read the bottle correctly, sorry about that. But the point still stands a one part, water based finish has great potential. I will report back in a couple of days on how it works for me.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 08, 2012 02:10PM

Bill, i got three rods built with mine and one feather inlay.
( i got more than one sample bottle , one each time i raided the guides bin!).
For feather work I eventually used Deft Gloss water based poly over cp first. That got the bubbles out. Uncut that stuff is too thick for feather work, being water based it washed off easily too.
I am more used to working TM lite but the plus of this stuff is low fumes and no amine nasties to make your skin fall off.
My best tip for its use: apply it real thind o not mess with it, put it on and use 'leave it to drip then turn it' method.

Date: March 08, 2012 03:16PM

Thanks Lou. Do you dip straight from the bottle or put some on something? It looks like straight out of the bottle would be best for no bubbles?

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 04:37PM

Straight out the bottle.
As i said, do not brush it just dip spatula or sponge and apply. Allow gravity to do its thing and wick it off then turn. Then rotate.
Its way better than the stuff from last years show: no weird fish eye problems when going from one product to another with this stuff so far.
A more 'epoxy' finish than poly.

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-166-249-100.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2012 06:15PM

I did a test coat on a piece of scrap blank. So far it seems to cure as described. After 24 hrs of cure time in a cool basement (60) it is hard and seems pretty tough. Passed the finger nail test.
Tonight I coated a reel seat for a monochrome rod project.
Update later.

Always learning with
Ohio Rod Builders

Joe Azar

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 06:21PM

I have worked my way through two of the sample bottles from the ICRBE and am not at all impressed with the product! I tried differing appliction methods including those recommended by Kevin Knox, and I found it did not level as well as 2 part epoxies, dried or cured slower and was very prone to bubbles which were then very hard to remove. The one very positive is the lack of fumes and odor!

I had high hopes for the product, but will be sticking with Threadmaster 2 part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster