I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster vs Flex Coat : DURABILITY ONLY
Posted by: Greg Reali (---.losrios.edu)
Date: March 07, 2012 01:35PM

I'm about to start building some more rods, and I've been reading up on some of the other options to flex coat. I've read decent things about Threadmaster, but I've not found anything accounting for its durability.

I'm wondering if anyone out there can give some insight to the durability of the Threadmaster - I'm not worried about clarity or color retention. Those are insignificant compared to being able to create a dependable "tool" for fishing. Had I been building a "show piece," it might matter.....but not this time.

SO........anyone put a built rod through it's paces? Salt water use? Dinging/scratching/flaking epoxy? Cracking at the guide feet?

Thanks!!
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster vs Flex Coat : DURABILITY ONLY
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 02:18PM

I use both for different types of builds. Flex Coat for all of my offshore and stand up rods and Threadmaster for inshore and freshwater rods. Never have I noticed where one brand was superior over the other in the durability dept. Get one brand or try both out, you won't be dissapointed in either.

Lance

Posted by: Ellis P. Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 06:03PM

Those are both good products. I use Flex Coat because the company owner is a good acquaintance of mine. He helped me get started in rod building many years ago.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 06:15PM

I use Treadmaster exclusively for all my rods, both fresh and salt water no problems.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.att-inc.com)
Date: March 07, 2012 07:20PM

Got thread master on some 50lb trolling rods that get used quite a lot in season. Durability is great.A few scuffs from hitting the boat here and there but that clean right up. Had one at the ICRBE that looked right off the shelf, It actually had a pretty tuff season on it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Greg Reali (---.losrios.edu)
Date: March 07, 2012 07:25PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear it's durable. I've heard that it's somewhere between FlexCoat and the CRB stuff from mudhole as far aws scratch resistance. I'm not saying I need it looking pretty, but the least impact damage is nice.

It sounds like it's fairly durable in the short term. Can anyone comment on the long-term use and guide foot cracking? (I KNOW that it's a "relatively" inevitable occurence, but FlexCoat seems to have given me the longest guide foot life.....just wondering if this comes close....)

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 08, 2012 07:50AM

I use threadmaster lite coat on all final coats, tough as and very durable, although at times it has the tendency to crack its that hard......

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 08, 2012 08:45AM

cracking at the ends of the feet... doesnt happen anymore for me, more coats at the right time and the right epoxy fixes it all........hmmmmmmmmm.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster