I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Grips
Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.122.---)
Date: March 06, 2012 09:08AM

Hello All
What do most people use to bore out the ends of fly grips to accept the reel seat? I've looked online and at the venders to the left and the pilot bits only go up to 5/8, I need closer to 3/4.

Thanks for any help
Scott k

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Grips
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 09:28AM

A forstner bit is a good choice. Comes in pretty much any size you want. Also leaves a flat-bottom hole.

Most hardware and wood working stores carry these.

Terry

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 06, 2012 09:30AM

On cork I use a dremel with a sander bit and procede very carefully. On wood I use a paddle bit and also procede very carefully.

Posted by: Jon Christensen (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 09:37AM

I use a dremel with a high speed cutter bit (#115).

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-75-196-87.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2012 10:09AM

I use my lathe and different size spade bits. I mount my spade bit in my headstock chuck. I have ground the standard point down in length and to 60 degrees approx, so that my mandrel center will ride on that. Mount the mandrel in a tailstock 3-hole chuck. Slip grip on mandrel, push mandrel up to bit, tighten everything down and then with lathe spinning the bit push grip into bit until you get the depth you want. I use this for cork,burl,wood,bone, and carbon fiber. The spade bits come in many sizes and can also be ground down easily to get even closer fits. I have at least 8 ground from .723 -.957 plus the normal sizes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 12:08PM

I use a Dan Craft Crafty Cutter, multiple blades let you cut the sizes you need from .75 to almost 1" if I remember right, self centers your cut, if your grip is bored, uses your hand drill.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 08:41PM

X2 for Dremel with a sander. I trace the outline of the recessed end of the hood with a mechanical pencil, and try to remove material within the circle , without ever removing any of the tracing of the circle itself. The decorative end of the hood will cover any slight imperfections. Go slowly, and check fit often! Another trick is to glue the hood into the grip first, then attach the rest of the seat.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 08:55PM

Like Terry, I use a good forstner bit...make up some kind of jig to hold it plumb in a drill press and feed slow.....works very nice.

I haven't figured out a good way to relieve the inside lip of the cork for those front shoes on seats that disappear in the cork...got lucky a couple times with a dremel and used cork filler on one I screwed up. They turned out OK...but, I'm just avoiding those for now.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2012 11:38PM

I use a 3/4" pen turning barrel trimmer available from Penn State Industries, mounted on a short piece of 1/4" rod, and then adjust the hole size with a dremel to match the reel seat size:

[www.pennstateind.com]

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 07:56AM

Like Spencer said, I use the Crafty's Cutter on all Cork, eva, and hypalon, then the pen barrel trimmer and a dremel on the wood handles.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Adam Fisher (208.251.203.---)
Date: March 08, 2012 10:57AM

I've been using a cheap set of hole saws with the outter teeth filed flush with the outside edge of the hole saw. I also replaced the 1/4" pilot bit with a 1/4" steel rod to center it with the grip. Makes a nice clean cut and is almost an exact fit the the reel seat. Only thing is I have to use an xacto knife to hollow out the inside of the grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 11:02AM by Adam Fisher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster