I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mag Bass vs. Bass Cast
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 03:06PM

Anyone be able to tell me the difference btw these two actions/powers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mag Bass vs. Bass Cast
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2012 03:36PM

As originally designed, "Mag Bass" blanks possessed a bit more power in the butt than standard fast action blanks of the same action and power designation.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 03:48PM

Maybe to pull big fish out of heavy cover type thing?

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 06:08PM

I look at Mag bass as a cross over from Bass to light saltwater. In fact I use a few Mag bass for light salt water as they sometimes are more powerful then light salt water. Of course it depends on the manufactuer!

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: March 08, 2012 01:24PM

Didn't Batson simply change the nomenclature in its catalog from "Mag Bass" to "Bass Cast" without changing their products? I think they also did away with the use of the term "Spin JIg". I think one of the concepts most difficult for newcomers, to rodbuilding, to grasp is the notion that there are very few square pegs to put into round holes. Just because manufacturers choose to categorize blanks in particular ways does not mean we are limited to building them for those purposes. It is very much a POE-TAY-TOE/PO-TAH-TOE thing, IMO. Which only serves to demonstrate the value of this forum. Regardless of how any manufacturer labels a blank, if I am unfamiliar with it but am interested in using it, I will ask for the opinions of those that have used it. Reponses are rarely universal. Everyone has an opinion, but with respects to marketing claims, it is a good idea to learn what many have to say about any particular blank.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 02:06PM

Mag Bass is nothing more than a bass rod blank with more butt power, simple.

I concider MagBass blanks to be about the only blank I like building and using for most all bass fishing, striped bass fishing, and several others. It's a versitile blank that can do many things.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster