I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying finish ?'s
Posted by: forrest lamprey (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 09:21AM

I only do 5 or 6 rods a year. Mainly as a hobby for family and friends. I have a couple of questions:
1. I see in the posts about using a spatula - I have always applied with a brush but like the idea of the spatula - is it a regular spatula? Size?
2. I have recently seen some bubble forming on the finish. I see Mudhole has a debubbler spray and have read about a bubble buster torch type thing?
Does anyone know what's in the Mudhole spray, used it? and info on the torch and where to find it.

Form the hobbiest and non professional, I would like to say thank you to all the "experts" for your input. It is greatly appreciated that there is such a site
that allows everyone to share their ideas and years of knowledge. It's a hobby for me. but I like to make the best rods I can and you all are a great help.
thanks

Forrest Lamprey
Indianapolis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying finish ?'s
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 09:37AM

Hey Forrest,

The best spatula tool I've found are metal artists spatulas. They come in various sizes and styles, but they are very thin and flexible and allow you to cover various sizes of wraps in one revolution. I find spatulas easier to get good edges compared to brushes. I like the metal ones because if I get in a hurry and forget to clean them, then you can just heat them up and clean off the finish later. There are plastic ones that are cheaper to try out to see if you like them or not.

You can find these at the craft stores, Michaels, etc. in the artists paint supplies section.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 03:01PM

Forrest,
I gave spatulas a good try - trying several different spatulas.
But I was never happy with either the technique or results, so I have gone back to the brush.

I buy the every inexpensive brushes, 100 at a time for about 3 cents each. I use one brush on one rod and never clean any brush.

But, many folks do like spatulas and have excellent results. It is up to the individual.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 03:07PM

I've used the Bubble buster spray. A few times following directions and then my way. Per directions I seemed to get fish eyes but no bubbles. No knock on BB. that method just does not work for me. I now spray the epoxy one small spray while it rests on aluminum foil.
Bubbles are going to happen. I don't know whats in Bubble Buster but I'm sure its all about relieving surface tension without contaminating the epoxy. I get good results with the BB and heat. Every one gets their own methods as they build. Thats why I love this forum. To read other builders methods and see how they work for me. I post when I think maybe my methods might help someone else.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2012 07:13PM

I thought the trouble with fish eyes using Bubble Buster was my fault because I had read a few positive comments about it. I bought a bottle of it at the ICRBE show last year to give it a try. I thought it might be easier than trying to guard against and remove bubbles using more traditional methods. After 2 severe cases of fish eyes (and never having previous problems with fish eyes) I quit using it and went back to my traditional method of applying a clean flame near the epoxy to heat it to release the bubble and have had no fish eye problems since. Obviously someone has has success with it but I never took the time to determine what my application shortcomings might have been.

As far as spatulas: there are several types that are available from the vendors on the left that all seem to work just fine. The ones I've seen and used are narrower than any of the artist-type that I've found and work especially well on small wraps which are important to me because I make a lot of fly rods. Another quick spatula is to custom cut plastic credit-type cards to the width you want. You probably receive a bunch of them in the mail as solicitations for credit cards and all manner of memberships to something or other. I also keep the cards that are issued as room pass cards at motels when I travel. Just make sure they're clean and free of dust or other contaminates and you can cut and shape them to what ever size you need. They also make for great white trim rings for turning your own grips.

I actually use both methods to apply finish. On narrow wraps such as most fly rods or light spinning rods I use that spatula. If I need to cover a long area I use a brush and use the method that is outlined in the article in the Library section.

Sam

Posted by: forrest lamprey (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 12:29PM

Thanks everyone. Would a heat gun, which I have, on low work? Anyone tried this?

Forrest Lamprey
Indianapolis

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 02:29PM

Forrest,
I use a heat gun on every rod to which I have applied finish.

A heat gun works very well. You don't have to worry about the heat setting. Just change the distance of the heat gun to the blank to get the temperature that you want for thinning the finish on the rod.

Roger

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 07:56PM

The one thing you need to careful of with heat guns, blow dryers etc. is the dust that is created which can affect the appearance of your finish. There are a number of people who prefer the heat gun and they get good results but I prefer a clean flame. Just don't ask me how many times I got careless and scorched or set on fire a cork grip!

Sam

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 01:26PM

Ditto on the bubble buster w/flame. I don't seem to be able to control the heat level with a gun, so the flame is quick and right where I want it. Everyone has their preferred tool but this one is mine for bubbles.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster