I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fireman rod - would like to steal your ideas....
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 06:19PM

I have a rod to build as a gift to a Fire Chief that is leaving the station and retiring. The budget is naturally very small, but I have the basics in mind.

What I am curious about is: are there any decals and such already set up for something like this? Has anyone done one before and want to share some tips?

This will be a largemouth bass rod, casting platform, split grip, no forgrip style if that helps. I was planning on doing some "fire style" marbling in the no forgrip area and maybe? the split as well. It'd be nice to maybe have a shield decal where I could incorporate his shield numbers into it and so on....maybe a butt cap inlay, any artwork maybe that I could get to DC and have them make them for me.....thoughts?

I did a photo gallery search and didn't get much at all.

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fireman rod - would like to steal your ideas....
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 06:54PM

Mudhole sells Rod Skinz decals with fire being on one of them.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.bnl.gov)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:10PM

DR,

How about a black EVA or hypalon grip with yellow inlays (like a fire fighter's jacket), or perhaps a grip sleeved in colored fiberglass to give the look or texture or a fire hose. I would be willing to help you out on designing a decal if you are interested. We could do just the artwork, or I could print it off on white or metallic decal media for you.

If you could get your hands on a hat pin shield for a butt cap inlay, I bet it would add a nice touch.

Joe

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:28PM

Thanks Joe I just may take you up on that. :-) Really like the hose idea, maybe incorporate that into a fire marbled area......

I've got some pictures coming from the station guys and I sent Billy V an email about a grip that may suit.....

DR

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:36AM

email fur d chefs piture

N yur email box

ifn u wan his edied r change cal me

Swampboyz

Posted by: Duane Richards (166.182.3.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:38AM

Will do Bill! Thanks!

Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.196.51.216.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 10:12AM

I did one for a raffle and I used paint in the finish to create flames for the guide wraps over black thread. Looked awesome.

SK Custom Rods
American Tackle Pro Staff

Fish now, cause you'll be dead for a long time.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.217.---)
Date: March 03, 2012 11:01AM

I will be glad to help with ideas or decals or methods. I do a lot of them, designed and printed at home. Here are a couple examples:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.217.---)
Date: March 03, 2012 11:23AM

Go to Google, do individual searches after hitting the "images" button for: Fire chief hat, then fireman, then fire chief emblem. Notice that many fire chief emblems are specific to the city. You might ask the city if they have graphics of their emblem, or you may find his in this search. Note that when printing on an inkjet the color white will not print, but will be clear (the background will show through). The signifigance of this is that if you print an emblem that has white in it, and you want the white to be white, print it on a white background decal or print it on a clear decal and place it on a white surface, like the Leaf rod above.

Duluth trading has a fabric they call firehose. Not sure how close it is to the real thing, but check out the image below. If that material would work, I suggest you contact Duluth Trading and ask if they could help you with the project by providing a bigger image of the material (they have many colors). If you get an image and permission to use it then it is easy to make a decal that could be wrapped around the blank like the Mudhole Skinz. Even if the color isn't quite right it may be possible to take one of their colors and manipulate the color on a graphics program to match what you want

[www.duluthtrading.com]

The decals of emblems would work great over ramps like the rods shown in the previous posting of mine.

Let me know if you would like more. I'll provide my email address. I can see a rod in my mind, based on the white Mudhole blanks, that would have firehose on the blank at the split grip and in front of the front ramp, white or red ramps depending on the emblem decal to be used, emblem decals on the ramps.

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-174-252-60.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2012 02:57PM

Can you use his departments or station logo to make it more personable?

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 07:38PM

You can find a lot of different small lapel pins on @#$%&. For a retired firefighter friend of mine I am embedding a 30 year pin in the foregrip and a fire department logo pin in the butt cap.....I've also toyed with the idea of gluing the 30 year pin just above the foregrip between 2 back to back winding checks and then using a high build epoxy to cover the pin.......

Posted by: Corey D. Magill (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 06:47PM

I did a pole for a police office and did a "thin blue line" in the grip. I have seen FF around here with a "thin red line" sticker.... we paramedics are nobodys :)

Posted by: Tom Trapp (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:04PM

Scott: Would you mind sharing how you did the flames for a guide wrap? I had the exact idea for a rod and the only thing making me nervous about it is the marbeling for the flames on the guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster