I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

simple spiral loading question
Posted by: cameron dixon (---.belrs4.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 29, 2012 06:32PM

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up my first simple spiral attempt and I have a bit of a concern about the loading on the blank.

Ive found that when the rod is loaded the the line passes from the 0 degree butt guide in a near prefect straight line through the first 180 degree guide and onto the second 180 degree guide.

This seems to me to create more pressure on the butt guide and the 2nd 180 degree guide but very little pressure on the first 180 degree guide as the line passes through them under load.

My concern is that the load the blank is recieving through this area is not consistent and therefore may put extra stress on the blank through this zone.

I've tried different sized butt guides and different spacing but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Am I worrying about nothing or do I need to Change my layout.

P.S. 10-20 lb GL2 16mm butt at 19 inches from line guide on reel 1st 180 degree guide 8mm single at 8 inches ahead of that. Then 8mm singles to tip. 7 guides in total plus tip not including bumper, 5' 6" rod.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Cam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: simple spiral loading question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2012 06:40PM

If you tie a line to the tip, with no guides, you'll have perfect loading.

There is no problem unless and until you create a bowstring effect between a pair of guides. This is highly unlikely to happen unless you are using a very small number of guides.

If you feel unsure or worried, use a slightly smaller, lower, guide for the first 180 degree guide. That will place the line on the guide ring at the same time as that in the 2nd 180 degree guide. This should take care of your concern.

Posted by: cameron dixon (---.belrs4.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 01, 2012 05:27AM

Thanks Tom, everything came to a grinding holt last night but your bit of reassurance has got me itching to get back into it.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:36AM

If you look at the Standard Load Tutoral from Angler's Resourse, sponsor on the left, you'll see exactly how I set up my spiral wraps. I set the upper guides first and use the last guide as my first 180. I string two guides behind the first 180, set the blank in a good flex and set them where ever the line tells them they need to be. I incorporate the bumper "into" the guide placement instead of adding it. This way the first 180 loads every time whether it needs to or not - they cast great and land fish..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster