I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shaky Head Rod Blank
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 12:05PM

A friend has asked for a recommendation about a shaky head rod blank.

I have a Batson XSB 822.5 that I built, and for the big Lake Lanier spots, it is not powerful enough. A 3 lb spot will double it over in a heartbeat, especially pulling one out of 30 or 25 feet of water.

Looking at the Batson lineup, and found these two RX8 blanks - XP 843 popping blank and the XSW 72ML Walleye blank.

I realize the walleye blanks is only a 2 power, but it is extra fast action.

Has anybody built and used these blanks for shaky heads?

Thanks
Bert Nagy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shaky Head Rod Blank
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 12:44PM

Any of these -

XSW68MX (I believe to be same as the 802.5)
XSB843

All very fast with lots of backbone! I have built many of each.

I agree on the 822.5 - very fast and light, but lacking backbone for your app.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 12:45PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 02:42PM

Check with Lance or Bill at Swampland. They have what you want.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2012 02:47PM

If you are wanting something with more power and a bit stiffer tip, the SJ843-MHX is a great blank. Really good when fishing a shakey head deep. We also have a new model in the MHX line-up that is a proven shakey rig that falls in between a 2 and 3 power Spin Jig type blank, model SJ833-MHX. You did not mention the weight of the jig head that would be used and that also will help to determine which blank to use. You could check with Lance about these blank models as well.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 02:49PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 03:14PM

I have also built a few for customers on the SJ842 MHX. I didn't mention that since he was asking about Batson blanks. ;)

Another good one is the Lami LP844 (Bob - you suggested that one to me back in 09 and it's great)

Chuck

Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: February 29, 2012 04:08PM

I have built the lami lp843 and it is plenty of rod as is the mhx sj843. Another shaky blank I have built if you really want something different is the mhx 941 blank. I cut 6 inches off of it to make it 7'4". Lot of power and a light tip. Any of those three blanks will handle those deep Lanier torpedoes.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2012 05:56PM

Chuck -- Thanks for reminding of the LP844 Lamiglas. That is a great blank as well.

Rick -- Glad to hear you mention that MB941-MHX trimmed. It does have a very nice tip in it, along with a very powerful butt. Thank You for bringing mentioning that one.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 08:27PM

Thanks for all the input, especially the other brands. I will pass along to my friend, and see what he wants to do.

As usual the help on this board is great!

Sincerely
Bert Nagy

Posted by: Jim Gamble (24.26.8.---)
Date: February 29, 2012 08:31PM

Believe it or not, I use one of my open water flats rods ... HS9000. I think it does a very good job. This is a hotshot blank, originally designed for salmon/steelhead fishing. Funny that a blank designed for the Pacific Northwest, is my favorite Florida fishing rod. BTW, I can promise you that it WILL pull your fish up from the bottom - with power to spare.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:57AM

I'm with Bob, the MHX SJ843 would be a good one for this and it's available in 3 options: original series, High Mod series or all white.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: March 01, 2012 10:42AM

I've been catching Largemouth up to 13lbs. on worms and Senkos in 40' of water for years on a popping rod rated for 1/4 - 1/2oz. lures.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster