I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mhx vs rainshadow blanks
Posted by: david jones (---.sub-75-200-228.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2012 06:30PM

yes i was wanting to know how the rainshadow blanks compare to the mhx blanks, i have build a couple on the mhx blanks seems to work out good, wanting to know how they compare to the rainshadow blanks never build one. was thinking adding that blank to my rod business , let me know what you all think between the two thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mhx vs rainshadow blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 06:58PM

Every persons judgement is different.
Pick up a rain shadow which has the same ratings of one of your MHX blanks, build up the rod, fish the rod and then draw your own conclusions.

The only opinion that really matters to you, is your own opinion.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 07:23PM

I have built on both (only fly rods) and as Rinshadow has 2 different models RX7 & RX8 there are differences between them. The RX& is a more moderate action then the MHX and the RX* is perhaps a little faster. Again I have only built on the fly blanks of both.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 08:10PM

I've built on both of those as well. My first couple of builds were ATC Classic blanks, Then Rainshadow became more convenient to get my hands on later and built 2 rods of those, I liked them equally. Then I built many MHX rods and preferred them better over Rainshadow. After going back to ATC and getting my hands on the American Tackle Matrix rods and building a bunch of them (even my personal rods), I have found and preferred the action of the Matrix over both of the same class blanks. Nothing wrong with either Rainshadow or MHX, this is just my opinion.

I apologize for adding a third, but just wanted to put my opinion and experience out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2012 08:13PM by Fred Trahan.

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 10:24PM

Personally i would go with the Rainshadow. I have had nothing but good luck with Batson blanks. I just built 3 more Rainshadow fly rods for Alaska. My buddies love them and wont fish with anything but them now.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.188.204.---)
Date: February 29, 2012 01:02PM

Other than length, number of segments and suggested "weight" and price what other objective data differentiates fly rod blanks? Color? Country of origin? Critical radius breaking strain? Maximum acceleration with a stated line weight and diameter? Novelty and hype do not count as objective data - but we are still entitled to our opinions, so long as they are understood as being nothing more than opinions.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: February 29, 2012 03:40PM

Sounds like CCS data would be useful here. Mudhole provides it so you don't have to guess what you're going to get.

I have used both Batson and MHX fly blanks and found both to be acceptable.
For my casting style the overall best casting rod I have ever thrown line on is the MHX 9' 5wt.
It is light, fast but not stupid fast, the blanks are straight (especially at the tip). I consider it separately but they are also reasonably priced.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:41AM

David - what MHX blanks did you build? I almost tried one recently, thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster