I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alignment mark???
Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.119.---)
Date: February 28, 2012 02:01PM

Starting a build for my dad and want to put alingment marks on it. I've tried it in the past and found that the paint runs in the thread making it more of a bloch than a dot. Does using CP first help? I have some but have not used any yet, kind of a newbe. Yes I did look in "search" first but didn't find anything under alingment mark, alingment dot, alinment,ect..

Thanks for any help
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alignment mark???
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 02:10PM

Scott,
Wind the alignment mark into the wrap on the joint.

It is pretty easy to do. Basically do an underwrap of the trim color, but only expose the trim color where you want the alignment mark to appear. i.e. cover the underwrap with the joint wrap of the main color.

Then, just add an extra wrap on the butt section of the rod. When you do this wrap, make sure that the finished end is a bit of distance away from the location of the tip section. As the rod ages, the tip section will tend to move down the butt section a bit with wear and age. So, just be sure that the finished end of your lower joint wrap is far enough away so that the wrap will never interfere with the fit of the tip section.

Roger

p.s.
You may need to practice this wrap on a test section a couple of dozen times to get it right, but once you have it you will be able to use this skill for other decorative wraps on any rod.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 02:11PM

I do my alignment dots on top of a light coat of epoxy and then apply a second coat after the mark is dry. No bleeding!!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 03:04PM

Tiny marks with acrylic ink, let dry, finish over.

DR

Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.119.---)
Date: February 28, 2012 03:26PM

Roger
Im familiar with an underwrap but not having ever done any decorative wraps I cant see this in my head. Is thare a picture in the photos section that shows this?

Scott

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 04:19PM

Decal Connection sells Alignment dot decal strips (on left)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 06:32PM

Scott.
Simply tape your main and your "spot" wrap thread onto the blank. Put a couple of main wrap on the rod, then start the under wrap. Afte you get about 4 underwraps on the blank, use the main blank to cover up the underwraps and to hold the wraps in place.
Now, on the next wrap, do an over wrap of the underwrap at the alignment location. Then, continue with the rest of the main wrap to cover the underwrap. Repeat for about the next six wraps, so you will have an alignment wrap the width of about 6 wraps and as wide as the main thread. When, you get near the end, lock off the underwrap, put in your pull thread, a few more wraps of the main wrap and pull the main wrap back to lock it up.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: dave schaub (---.scansafe.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 11:54AM

I use tiny glass dots I get at Michaels and epoxy them in. They dont run and look good, especially in the sunlight.

Dave

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 08:43PM

Here's my process:

Wrap the female end of the ferrule, one coat of epoxy, let dry. Make sure the sections are aligned and apply your dot with metallic ink or acrylic paint and let dry on both male and female ends, leaving some space for wear. Apply a 2nd coat of epoxy on the wrapped end, and a single coat of epoxy over the male end dot. Let dry, all done.

Terry

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 06:21PM

something i have been doing thats a bit different is to use jungle cock nails. If you point the base of the feathers toward each other they look cool and work perfect. I have even used multiple feather inlays such as swords. Now granted this is best with a fly rod and it has to fit in some what with the rod theme if there is one but just another choice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster