I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC reduction guides - skipping sizes
Posted by: Linus Tay (---.186.8.12.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: February 27, 2012 09:42PM

Hi guys. Just curious about the greatest step down in sizes that you've tried that still casts well. Me being not very adventurous, I usually go from #25 to #16 then #12 on rods with 3 reduction guides. Now I'm considering going straight from #25 to #12 and from there down to #7 running guides. Still not quite used to how it looks but since this is a personal rod, I'm up for some experimentation. Any advice?

Cheers
Linus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC reduction guides - skipping sizes
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 10:37PM

What size is the reel spool? I usually don't use anything larger than a 20. I normally use 20, 12, 8, then 4's to the tip. Have you read the article in the Library above on Spinning guide static testing?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Linus Tay (---.186.8.12.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: February 27, 2012 11:04PM

Hi David. Yeah I've read and re-read that article. Spool diameter is 38mm about 80% of the time but I might use a bigger reel occasionally. I'm going with #7 running guides to accommodate bulky wind-on leader knots. Guess I'm just gonna have to not be lazy and bind the guides and test cast :)

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 12:59AM

I use mainly (Y style) 20/12/7 then 4 and on larger rods 25/16/8 then 4.5.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2012 07:43AM

When selecting sizes, you should be looking at the required frame height to achieve the necessary line path. Ring size isn't much of a consideration as the line doesn't use the full area of the ring.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 11:12AM

Right Tom, and since a particular height will "seek" its own position in that line path, the decision left to the builder becomes working with the distances apart different height guides will fall. A source of some confusion in GPS has been the fact that we provide the position of ALL guides of the chosen frame model. It's up to the builder to chose a stripper that falls in the right RANGE (say 19 to 25 inches) and then choose the next guide that falls at the right RANGE (say 7 to 11 inches beyond the stripper on the average 7 foot rod) and so on down the line to the choke point. NO ONE NEEDS TO ORDER ALL THE GUIDES THAT APPEAR ON THE RESULTS. SIMPLY CHOOSE THE (2 TO 4) GUIDES THAT POSITION THEMSELVES BEST FOR YOUR REDUCTION GROUP AND THEN MOVE ON TO STATIC LOADING.

Posted by: Linus Tay (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: March 01, 2012 05:59AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When selecting sizes, you should be looking at the
> required frame height to achieve the necessary
> line path. Ring size isn't much of a consideration
> as the line doesn't use the full area of the
> ring.
>
> .................
Thanks Tom, that really puts it into perspective for me. Frame height is everything.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 03, 2012 06:10PM

Incorporating height, ring size and spacing for the static distribution, I usually end up with Y 25, 16, 10, then an 8 fly (L) between the reel and the choke guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster