I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiberglass Rod Blank
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 26, 2012 05:49PM

Looking for a good price on fiberglass blanks. The application I have is a Great Lakes salmon down rigging trolling rod. Presently I am using the Shimano 2 pc 9 foot TDR series and would like something similar in size but perhaps with a slower action and some better feel. I would like some nice bend into the butt section with these 25lb average salmon. Like to feel all the head shakes. Looking for something that can take a little abuse from being thrown around the boat a little.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Steve Lynas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiberglass Rod Blank
Posted by: chip burdick (---.73.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 26, 2012 09:10PM

Here's something to think about. I know from building ice rods that fiberglass are a sight fishing and durable rod. Carbon or graphite rods are more for feel, but are more likely to break. Just adding some thought into the process.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 01:23AM

Steve,
It is exactly what you want. Tough durable and able to take days of trolling.
Good luck on your search.
Roger

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: February 27, 2012 06:43AM

Steve, look at the MHX Downrigger lineup. They are glass and designed for exactly what you looking to do. The price will put a huge smile on your face as well.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 09:05AM

You should also check out the BP (composite) and RDR (E-Glass) models from Batsons/Rainshadow. These are designed for downrigger applications and very reasonably priced. I use these for salmon trolling and downrigger fishing in Oregon for salmon.

Terry

Date: February 27, 2012 06:16PM

I have looked at the MHX downrigger lineup and the price does put a smile on my face. It certainly offers me the Iow cost I was looking for. I don't really know much about these blanks as they seem relatively new on the market. They are marketed as the custom rod builders choice rod, as they are only offered to custom builders and this sort of makes them unique to us. They seem to be serialized and have a very decent transferable warranty.

I am seriously considering trying one of these out for fun. Looking at DR1086MHX, a 2pc. blank, 9 foot length, rated 15 to 30lb line, with moderate/ex-heavy action, Butt dia. 771" with a tip top #6.

Just don't think this rod blank will meet my thoughts for this build. I really want a fiberglass or e-glass pole that gives me some fish fighting action right into the butt section of the pole. I mean I want that rod to bend with the drag of these fish. I would like to see the pole's abilities tested to the max with the 25 to 30lb Lake Ontario Chinook averages being caught here. Tested to its limit but nothing breaks kind of thing. I would just like to leave the customer saying they can't believe that pole didn't break. Seems like a dream to me. Just don't know if the MHX blank fits that bill?

Can anybody tell me what kind of action on a blank I should be looking for to fit my dream scenerio?

Steve Lynas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2012 05:19AM by Steve Lynas.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 08:07PM

I would recommend that you also look at the Batson Forecast blanks like the SPG845.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 10:03AM

Steve,
You need a glass blank of the correct power with an extra slow action.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 28, 2012 05:34PM

Appreciate the help with my needs but I am having a hard time finding a specific fiberglass blank that meets that criteria.

I could not find a single slow action pole in all the blanks being offered over at Mudhole. Moderate was a close as I came to a downrigger blank and that was the MHX series.

I would love to find one that is offered as slow action with a med/hvy power rating, 2 pc in the length of either 8'6" or perferably 9'.

This is what I am hoping someone can actually tell me a model ", manufacturer. I will llook at Batson again but do not think I saw one that mets my Downrigging, trolling needs in a slow action rod.

Steve Lynas

Posted by: Brad Brooks (---.srvs.usps.gov)
Date: March 03, 2012 12:55PM

Sounds like the Batson RDR86M, RDR86MH or the MHX 8'6" 10-20lb is what you want. Prices through Utmost puts both of the Batson blanks very comparable to the MHX stuff. I have an RDR86MH, RDR96MH and an MHX 8'6" 10-20lb glass rod in my personal collection and the lightest action of these three is definately the MHX due to the graphite that Batson uses in the butt sections of their rods. The Batson BP and RDR blanks don't flex all the way to the fore grip like the MHX blanks due, again due to the graphite butt section but do have a little more power there when you need it. Here in Oregon on the Columbia River I prefer the RDR blanks due to the seal and sea lion problems we have. Sometimes it's a race to get the fish to the boat before the mammals steal them and the extra power of the RDR's comes in handy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster