I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding cork grips?
Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2012 07:36AM

do any of you have a trick to sanding cork grips without a lathe? I'm building my first rods and want a smooth transition from grip to reel seat and i don't have a lathe.

Thanks Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding cork grips?
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 07:41AM

You can mount a hand drill upside down and spin it down that way. Be sure to secure the drill very securely.

Dave
East Bay Custom Fly Rods

Date: February 23, 2012 07:55AM

Is there a good way to secure the cork ? Old piece of blank? or something else ? I thought about the drill just not sure how or what to secure the blank to?

Thanks Rick

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.217.---)
Date: February 23, 2012 07:59AM

You can do it on a drill press, but depending on the ID of the grip, it could be pretty straightforward, or pretty difficult. The issue is a mandrel that both fits the drill press and the grip. I use 5/16 threaded drill rod and a lower 5/16 bore ball bearing for stability - the bearing countersunk into a wooden block whichis then C clamped to the base of the driill press. This is quite accurate, very stable, and works well with cork. Start with coarse sandpaper and progress to fine. Be careful - cork comes off pretty fast and it's easy to get undersize.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 10:00AM

Rick,
Just take a piece of either 3/8th or 1/2 inch threaded rod and put it in the appropriate sized drill. The 3/8th works better generally because it typically spins faster at 2500 rpm.

Then, just take a roll of masking tape and build up the threaded rod as needed so that the grip fits nicely on the threaded rod. Then, put a washer and nut at each end of the grip to secure the handle to the threaded rod.

Sit down, put the drill in your lap with a handful of various grit sand paper and sand away. It works well if you have a nice big fan behind you so that all of the sanding dust is blown away from you when you sand. If you do the sanding outside, or do the sanding outside in a wind, you keep the dust off of you and you are good to go.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 10:10AM

this setup works well for cork eva and light woods I use thick walled blanks for mandrils and a hose clamp to hold the drill [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 23, 2012 07:46PM

Thanks guys alot of good pointers I like the all thread idea because i can get it at work.

Thanks again Rick.

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 24, 2012 02:52AM

I have the exact same setup as bill boettcher and serves me well for what I need.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.tex.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 25, 2012 09:33AM

I've made threaded mandels using 3/8" stainless all thread. Get a threaded collar from your favorite hardware store which is just a nut about an inch long. Cut the allthread to a couple of different lengths to fit different sized handles you might want to build. Use epoxy to glue the collar to one end of the allthread. The nice thing about the collar is that it is six sided and will fit firmly into a three sided lathe or drill chuck. I've got a photo but don'e see how to upload it.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: February 25, 2012 01:16PM

Thanks Steve

I took the all thread to the grinder on one end and made it three sided it fits nicely in my drill.

Thanks to everyone for the tips i appreciate all the responses!!!!!!

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster